I had the idea to get one of these 80% lower kits. Not that I need it, but just to have it in a box somewhere, just in case. I was watching some youtube videos of the machining processes to finish the 80% lower receiver, then I got to thinking. Even once the lower receiver is finished, you still need everything else to make a complete rifle, and buying it all piece by piece is surely more expensive than just getting a regular rifle in the first place, right? I doubt it would be cheaper.

I never really wanted an AR platform rifle, because EVERYBODY has "one of those". But if I did ever get one, I would want it to be identical to the M16A1 I had for part of my time in the US Army back in the late 80s-early 90s. Smooth triangular front grip assembly, no annoying bump in the middle of the pistol grip, etc.

When I was in, at different units I was stationed at, some had the full auto M16A1 with the smooth triangular front barrel cover, and some had the A2 version, with 3 round burst instead of full auto, and the round barrel hand grip and that annoying bump in the middle of the pistol grip. I never liked those features. That pistol grip tore up my hand more and it wasn't comfortable.

But has anyone ever built one or at least priced out all the needed parts?