Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Threaded View

(Centre County)

Red face Scolded at the Range

(More specific situational information at post #23)

To be brief and informative, recently I and 2 other trained shooters (age range 20-65) were... well, shooting, our modern sporting rifles when we were approached and heatedly scolded by an older, heavy-set gentleman who was there "sighting in" a muzzleloader with his friend (and supervising any other range goers that showed up). He approached us, obviously aggravated, and proceeded to scold us concerning our position on the firing line: He charged that one of us was standing dangerously in front of the plane of the muzzle of another shooter. In truth, one shooter was seated at a table with his rifle, and the other was standing in line with the front of the next table down. We assume, though, that Flustered Fudd was also frazzled by our use of modern, non-hunting firearms and (maybe?) other personally-concocted range rule violations, as he was noticeably already bothered when he approached, and used a raised, aggravated voice and hand gestures. Though his accusation was borderline random, we politely agreed with him and continued our shooting.

We did not inform him of our actual years or level of training, his inappropriate demeanor, or the accusatory nature of his inquiry as to the possession of membership cards. Neither did we ask him for some identification of his authority...some things simply aren't worth the trouble.

All I would advise to anyone who frequents any range is that, for all our sake, you save your "range officer" (justified or not) routine for someone who presents a real danger, blatant disregard for range rules, or the like, not for those who are disturbing the chi of your once-a-year sight-in session with Ol' Bess with their scary and unnecessary black rifles. Most of us, I assume, who frequent the range do so in the true American spirit of "leave me alone" or "be friendly." If the anonymous range ranger happens to read this, "we come in peace," and here's a picture for you--scold away.

See: The instructor standing beyond the plane of the pistol muzzles. (worse than what occurred in this situation).
    Last edited by StingyGunner; December 25th, 2014 at 11:44 PM. Reason: unneeded information.
    Hunting is NOT a 2nd Amendment Activity