So, a friend of mine who is an older gentleman came to me with a question about a handgun he has, thinking I would have an answer since he knows I am interested in firearms. I am a little unsure and since it is a legal question I thought it best to see what you all have to say before I give him a recommendation.
He has a small handgun that he had locked up and all but forgot about for years and he wants to either get rid of it completely or make sure it is legal so he can shoot it every once in a while. He tells me he purchased it back in the 80's or early 90's while he lived in Arizona and doesn't think he ever had to do paperwork of any kind, even after moving to PA shortly after. I wouldn't know if there even was paperwork for handguns in Arizona then, or if it would have been somehow grandfathered in when he moved to PA. For all I know he could have actually done some kind of paperwork, but has since forgotten. Is this a question best directed to the police, or should he just loose it in an unfortunate boating accident? (joking) I know he is not prohibited from owning firearms and that he is just trying to do the right thing with the gun, whatever that may be. Thanks for your input.