Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Chester County)

Default french creek out door range??

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this question. I have not been to the outdoor range at French creek in about 5 years. last time i went I saw some shady shit and have not been back since. I was thinking of going up this week with my wife and son but not sure if it has changed or not. Ok so here are my questions.
    1- do you need a membership now? I thought I heard you did.

2- What can you shoot?? I have heard no more pistols or shotguns.

3- How safe is it now? I am thinking of going on Thursday so I am hoping that it wont be crowed or have unsafe shooter.

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

(Chester County)

Default Re: french creek out door range??

1. You need a permit for any State ranges now. A hunting license will work as a substitute.

2. There never has been a "pistol" range there to my knowledge, though there are 25 or 50 yard target stands, I forget which. I've never been cited for using a pistol there but it is not technically a pistol range so per the rules you'd be limited to 3 rounds, at least that's my understanding. It's been a while since I've used a state range myself.

As for shotguns, the shotgun range has been closed for a few years.

3. Haven't been since they started the new permit rule but I'd guess that has cut down on the idiots, at least I hope.

(Chester County)

What kind of permit do I need? and how do I get one?

(Chester County)

Never mind I figured out the permit question. one last thing. it said the permit was good for only one guest. I am planing on going with my wife and son. My son is only 12 would I have to get 2 permits for all 3 of us to go or do kids not count??

(Delaware County)

you get the permit from PA game commission on their web site

I did some hunting at sgl43 last year for the last time ever because of the shooting range it was non stop shooting from sun up to sun down. there was a crowd every time and nobody had a range permit or a hunting license.

Most of the people were butt heads you know the kind of people that shoot the range signs and such, as a matter of fact all the signs are shot up . there was pinking going on witch is against the rules but I would not mind if you cleaned up after your self but they don't .I sall pistole shooters with the lawn signs ( you know the kind that say vote for jon doe) and hanging targets off them at about 10 yards and shooting at them witch was a downward angle . one last they almost always during a target change finger fudge with the guns when people are down range. This is not everybody but I saw more bad than good

The good news is the Game commission redid the range the old wood benches are gone and replaced with concrete that has a black foam over the tops so you dont scratch your guns. The ranges also diffrent if you remember the skeet field it is gone forever not coming back ever . Ranges were 2 50 yard then the 100 yards and the last 2 were at 25 yards now its all 100 yards and the last 2 that were 25 are now 50 yards

(Chester County)

Cool thanks! I have not been there since they redid it last time i was up there I saw people getting muzzle swiped and I saw a girl about 16 looking down the barrel of a loaded shotgun. Maybe I will take a drive up and check it out.

(Chester County)

My advice is to join a private gun club and leave the public ranges alone. I've seen a lot of bad habits and down right unsafe handling of firearms at SGL #43(French Creek).
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

You mentioned available gun ranges. From West Chester you have several options.West Chester trap Club on boot road. West Caln gun club. Atglen gun Club, Telhai (sp) gun club is in honey brook. Morgantown gun club, Kimberton gun club, Frontier Archery in North Pottstown area. Elverson Rod and Gun Club, Northern Chester County Sportsmen's Club.

There is also Delaware County Fish and Game to the South and Birdsboro north of French Creek in Berks County. Lower Providence over in Oaks which is Montgomery County. South Pottsville which is in Berks and is over near the Pottstown hospital.

Many are closed to new members but for one or two months a year like Elverson, West Caln, Atglen. Northern Chester County Sportsmen's club facility is nice but has serious missmanagement problems and should be avoided based on another thread. Members are running commercial businesses out of the club which interferes with members shooting at the short ranges on the weekends.

Elverson if you become a member has many rentals and are closed to members during those rentals. Birdsboro just closed there membership.

West Caln a member can only shoot if there is a range safety officer present. This forces many members to take a range safety officer course and become certified (RSO) to shoot when they wish.

Check out all or as many clubs as possible. Check out each clubs web site if they have one, call or better visit and meet some members. Speak with as many members as possible. You will get a flavor as to how nice the folks are and how restrictive they are. You may even find out how well the club is run which is a telling sign on if you want to join.
    Last edited by GTO454; September 6th, 2014 at 10:13 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by GTO454 View Post
    You mentioned available gun ranges. From West Chester you have several options.West Chester trap Club on boot road. West Caln gun club. Atglen gun Club, Telhai (sp) gun club is in honey brook. Morgantown gun club, Kimberton gun club, Frontier Archery in North Pottstown area. Elverson Rod and Gun Club, Northern Chester County Sportsmen's Club.

There is also Delaware County Fish and Game to the South and Birdsboro north of French Creek in Berks County. Lower Providence over in Oaks which is Montgomery County. South Pottsville which is in Berks and is over near the Pottstown hospital.

Many are closed to new members but for one or two months a year like Elverson, West Caln, Atglen. Northern Chester County Sportsmen's club facility is nice but has serious missmanagement problems and should be avoided based on another thread. Members are running commercial businesses out of the club which interferes with members shooting at the short ranges on the weekends.

Elverson if you become a member has many rentals and are closed to members during those rentals. Birdsboro just closed there membership.

West Caln a member can only shoot if there is a range safety officer present. This forces many members to take a range safety officer course and become certified (RSO) to shoot when they wish.

Check out all or as many clubs as possible. Check out each clubs web site if they have one, call or better visit and meet some members. Speak with as many members as possible. You will get a flavor as to how nice the folks are and how restrictive they are. You may even find out how well the club is run which is a telling sign on if you want to join.
    GTO454,
    The thread you speak of regarding NCCSC is this one. http://forum.pafoa.org/chester-16/261375-nccsc.html. Not sure I agree it should be avoided but everyone does deserve to know what they are getting into.

(Chester County)

NCCSC runs like a Swiss watch with great events and even better staff. The meeting on Monday had 24 new members join and they were all impressed.
    The meeting started close to on time and had no interruptions or problems.
    The President ran a great night and people were cracking up in the friendly relaxed atmosphere. There are 3 outdoor ranges with a 4th soon to open.
    There is also a trap range to shoot club events or throw your own. There is also an electric trap machine being installed soon for your use. The trash posted on here about the club is just that trash. Ranges are always available and the instructors are a great group that will always help you out. Do your self a favor and look for yourself.