Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Butler County)

Default Traveling to N.C. via Maryland, and VA.

Vacation coming up to outer banks. Haven't been there in many years. What do I need to do to be legal with a PA license to carry? Last thread on here was 2013 according to my search skills. Appreciate any feedback.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Traveling to N.C. via Maryland, and VA.

Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Butler County)

Thanks for the response, Rock it. I have looked at that site already.

Obviously, Maryland is my concern. Do you still need to unload and lock to legally travel through?

I don't really watch the "news" anymore, but I thought there was a recent court ruling that might affect this...

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by daddy View Post
    Thanks for the response, Rock it. I have looked at that site already.

Obviously, Maryland is my concern. Do you still need to unload and lock to legally travel through?

I don't really watch the "news" anymore, but I thought there was a recent court ruling that might affect this...
    As to Maryland, yes. Unloaded, including magazines unloaded, and in a locked container (ammo can be in the same locked container, but not in the magazine), either in a trunk if available, or in an area not readily accessible, such as the back of an SUV, (not in the glove box or console).
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by ROCK-IT3 View Post
    As to Maryland, yes. Unloaded, including magazines unloaded, and in a locked container (ammo can be in the same locked container, but not in the magazine), either in a trunk if available, or in an area not readily accessible, such as the back of an SUV, (not in the glove box or console).
    I see where you could the locked container bit, as it is required to be in a locked container if you are in a vehicle such as a truck or suv without a "separate compartment" (ie trunk) other than the glove box or console.
    Where did you get unloaded magazines from, though?

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcourson View Post
    I see where you could the locked container bit, as it is required to be in a locked container if you are in a vehicle such as a truck or suv without a "separate compartment" (ie trunk) other than the glove box or console.
    Where did you get unloaded magazines from, though?
    It's a gray area, and there is not a Federal definition of "unloaded" or "loaded" that I am aware of, but some states (likely the ones you need FOPA for) have defined having loaded magazines in the same container as the firearm as being a loaded firearm, even though the magazine is not inserted. My default is to err on the side of caution.

ETA: Link to a post by GunLawyer001 specifically regarding PA's definition. https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...94#post4540694
    Last edited by ROCK-IT3; September 8th, 2022 at 06:12 PM.

(Franklin County)

Several inaccuracies above:
    *Magazines can be loaded
    *Ammo CANNOT be in the same container as the firearm
    *If no compartment separate from driver's compartment, only one or the other (firearm or ammo) is REQUIRED to be in a locked container (though both isn't a bad idea)

The actual statute:
    18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    *I'm leaving my original comments for posterity, but see ongoing discussion below for some change in stance on my part.
    Last edited by gnbrotz; September 8th, 2022 at 06:55 PM.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Several inaccuracies above:
    *Magazines can be loaded
    *Ammo CANNOT be in the same container as the firearm
    *If no compartment separate from driver's compartment, only one or the other (firearm or ammo) is REQUIRED to be in a locked container (though both isn't a bad idea)

The actual statute:
    I disagree with at least two of what you suggest are "inaccuracies".

For discussion:
    *Someone else just asked about the magazines being loaded. Can you define "unloaded" based on the FOPA text, or find a Federal definition? If no Fed definition, then the State challenging the legality of your transport will likely use its own definition, which, in many cases (including PA) defines a loaded magazine in the same compartment with a firearm the magazine fits as loaded firearm.

*Please point out in the FOPA text support for inaccuracy #2. I don't see it. My understanding is: ammo can be in a separate compartment of the same locked container, or, in the case of a trunk, locked in the trunk together.

*I guess technically the word or between firearm and ammunition means either one of them, but how does that reconcile with neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible...

(Lancaster County)

Is it in writing the magazines need to be unloaded? I was under the impression if they were stored in a separate container, with a flap, than the firearm it’s good to go. Is having the magazines unloaded just an extra precaution or do you feel it is legit the law?
    DDG-8 "Sine Timore"

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Yes. Lock up and be unloaded through Maryland. Even for those 11 short miles of western Maryland on I-81!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast