Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default General Rant... Cabelas/CC Stolen Purchase...

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but I just had someone charge $1100 to my account last night to Cabelas.com (not cabelas fault). The Cabelas fraud department did a great job in cancelling the order and stopping shipment to whoever in Michigan (Couldn't get name/shipping address from Cabelas). Had to cancel that card, and have bank issue me a new one, just a "minor" inconvenience. At least I caught it early, and Cabelas stopped shipment so I wouldn't have to fight the charges later.

At least the jerk has good taste in shopping...

Is there anyway to check this/can anything be done to the person that did this?

Default Re: General Rant... Cabelas/CC Stolen Purchase...

Your CC company has fraud investigators and this should be assigned to one of them. If they can actually find the person responsible, they'll gather all the evidence and then deliver said evidence to a police department for further processing.

More than likely, your card numbers were duped at a place you used it, convienence stores are famous for this, then sold on the black market. Or, your card was read twice by an employee where you sought some sort of service. Motel, hotel, gas station, etc...the card was ran twice, once with fake machine to copy magnetic strip, second time to actually charge for services.

They then take the info saved from the first swipe, place it on a second fake CC and sell that.

Hope this helps you understand how it usually works.

actual prosecution? damn near impossible. No harm was actually done to you so you have no real legal civil recourse.

also, welcome to being a victim of crime, if you hadnt been once already.

(Philadelphia County)

yeah, this happens all the time.

Even if Cabelas would have missed it, your CC company would have taken the charges off.

A few years ago I woke up to a phone call from my bank asking me if I was in Rome, maxing out my credit card at an electronic store.

I never saw a charge.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Beaver County)

Had it happen to me with my Visa a few months back, it spit back a prompt for a zip code and then refused my zip code...after after an hour or two and like 4 different people I found out someone had charged some 4 grand in camera gear and luckily it was all caught early....they had also done a change of address so the bill wouldn't come to me and I wouldn't see it

they (CC company) refused to tell me where everything had been changed to address wise....strange I wonder why...

(Allegheny County)

Hey! Criminals have a right to privacy too!

Seriously, there's probably a few reasons, first and foremost they don't want you seeking revenge.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wiley-X View Post
    Hey! Criminals have a right to privacy too!

Seriously, there's probably a few reasons, first and foremost they don't want you seeking revenge.
    Plus a lot of criminals are "smart" enough to not send it to their own houses. They send it to an abandoned house with instructions to leave the packages on the front porch...
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Bradford County)

i'm in the fraud family too. last year somebody charged $556.00 on my credit card. luggage,victorias secret and a gas station. i got the money back but haven't heard if they caught who did it. i tracked the store down where the luggage was bought,in oregon,called the store and talked to the theft loss manager. he had no answers for me

(Berks County)

This is also why I NEVER sign my credit cards, , I put "Check ID" on the back, I WANT them to ask for my ID. Funny thing is, they rarely ask, they rarely look.

What did they order at Cabela's? Did you find out?

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    This is also why I NEVER sign my credit cards, , I put "Check ID" on the back, I WANT them to ask for my ID. Funny thing is, they rarely ask, they rarely look.

I never sign my cards either and I'm rarely asked for ID, but that's because if someone steals my CC I don't want them to also have a copy of my signature.

Not signing for the purpose of an ID check would only help in the event of a physical card theft, but that's the most rare of the ways people "steal" your CC. Obviously even if they stole your physical CC they could sign it anyway.

The other methods, like the magnetic strip copy (they write the information from your strip onto a "blank" strip on a different card... they could sign that one). The other popular way is to just get the card number + CCV code and order online, no physical cards required.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post

I do the same. However I stop them and in a loud voice ask them WHY DID YOU NOT CHECK THE SIGNATURE?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast