Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Wondering about License name

Not trying to offend anyone here, but it bothers me a little when our Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms is referred to as a permit. Did it used to be called a permit at some time in the past and the name stuck? Even on some of the PA Sheriff's sites they call it a permit to carry or gun permit.

My license expires Jan. 6 of 2008, so I'll be getting ready to renew toward the end of this year.
    From what I understand it can be renewed 60 days before expiration and the sheriff is supposed to mail you a notice?

This is a great site and I have been enjoying and learning.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Wondering about License name

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Not trying to offend anyone here, but it bothers me a little when our Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms is referred to as a permit. Did it used to be called a permit at some time in the past and the name stuck? Even on some of the PA Sheriff's sites they call it a permit to carry or gun permit.
    It's officially called a LTCF (License to Carry Firearms) in PA. However, some people do call it a permit. In the end it's symantics, as "permit" and "license" have very similar definitions; in fact, the definition of "license" uses the word "permit". From Websters:

license (noun) - a permit from an authority to own or use something, do a particular thing, or carry on a trade.
    permit (noun) - an official document giving someone authorization to do something.

Remember though, one does not need a permit to carry in PA, as long as one is open carrying. The permit is only necessary for carrying concealed (unless in Philadelphia, where it's always needed).

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    My license expires Jan. 6 of 2008, so I'll be getting ready to renew toward the end of this year.
    From what I understand it can be renewed 60 days before expiration and the sheriff is supposed to mail you a notice?
    Not sure about the timeframe, but I believe the Sheriff is supposed to mail you a notice when your LTCF is due to expire, so that you may renew if you choose.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Westmoreland County)

You should be more concerned why it's called and printed as "License to Carry Firearms" and not "License to Conceal Firearms"
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    You should be more concerned why it's called and printed as "License to Carry Firearms" and not "License to Conceal Firearms"
    +1, agreed.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post

Agreed, typical pa vagueness. I wouldn’t wait for the Sheriff to notify me. I know some people have and some have not. I never have been notified. My GF has , same county. Go figure. On the up side last year our sheriff dept. was doing LTCF at the county fair.
    You read that right.

(Berks County)

you need to make sure that the address on the licence is the same as where u live, because you dont need to change your address on your ltcf when u move but they will send the notice to the address on your licence....not sure if thats your case but i thought id let people know