Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default M1 Garand question

I couldn't find this using search. If it has come up before please forgive me.

I will be picking up an M1 Garand from CMP once I get my tax return (I'll be joining GCA in the next week or two). Now what are the practicle differences between Field and Service grades?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: M1 Garand question

Their web site does a pretty good job of explaining it and they do a good job in grading. Although you can get lucky with a rack and you can get unlucky with service but as a general rule of thumb the service grade will have better stock, metal and barrel wear.

That said, when I received both on the same order a few years ago I actually needed to check the serial number to tell which was rack and which was the service grade.

I would post pics of both but I have not yet refinished the stock of the rack grade so it would not be a fear comparison.

To be safe, order a service grade.

(Luzerne County)

The CMP web site explains the difference. Field grade will have more muzzle and throat wear and the stock may have a few more dings, etc.

I went with the Service Grade several years ago and am quite happy. If you can afford it, go with the Service Grade.

(Philadelphia County)

The extra 100 dollars for a Service grade is WELL worth it. I personally dont think the extra few hundred dollars is worth it for a CORRECT grade, but that is my personal preference.

I owned a SERVICE grade for a while before I decided to move back to modern firearms, and I NEVER had a problem with it. Actually, it was one of the most accurate semi-auto rifles I ever used. God I miss the kick from that gun.

(Centre County)

The Service Grade will give you a serviceable rifle.
    The Field Grade will give you a rifle that looks and shoots like it was left out in a field for a year.

Get the Service Grade. You won't regret it.

a friend of mine ordered two garands one for him one for me, 950.00 each, 3-4 month wait (springfields). edit: the rifles are "correct grade" and will take 6-9 months
    Last edited by bogey1; April 5th, 2009 at 10:04 AM.
    FJB

(Berks County)

If you are going to the CMP store then your chances of getting a good rifle from the field grade group is better than just the luck of the draw if you do a mail in order.

If you can get a T/E gague before you go then that tool will help you get the best rifle for your dollar. Hit up Bill Ricca or Orion 7 for that part as it measures the wear of the barrel at the muzzle and the chamber area.

this is from brownells site:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...ROSION%20GAUGE

If you get service grade then be aware CMP is shipping some with new stocks, like the one I just got after a 3+ month wait. For me it was not a problem, but for some others it might be an issue.

Also be aware CMP has done the follwing with ammo:

There has been a price increase.

There has been a quanity restriction.

From what I have read on the odcmp forums most of the folks behind the counter are knowledgeable and more than ready to help you, but if they are swamped you should be prepared to be on your own.

If you are planning on shooting commercial 30-06 ammo through the M1 then this part will be needed:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...20GAS%20SYSTEM

Good luck on your trip
    gotta love her ;)

Check CMP descriptions as others have said.

I have several CMP Service Grades (M1 and 1903) and have never been disappointed by the condition of any I've ordered sight unseen.

I did pick up a Field Grade at the North Store, all walnut wood, WWII sn, and a mixmaster of parts VAR barrel (measured 2 at each end), Beretta oprod, and just about every manufacturer represented in its parts. It is also my best shooter, 1 1/2" at 100 yd with Greek ammo. I'm sure I good get this below an inch with a good handload. I think it was sold as a FG as the finish wasn't up to SG standards.

With all that said I'd order a SG. You may find a nice FG if you go to pick it out but that's always a crapshoot due to what's in stock at the store.

If you can get a T/E gague before you go then that tool will help you get the best rifle for your dollar. Hit up Bill Ricca or Orion 7 for that part as it measures the wear of the barrel at the muzzle and the chamber area.

This isn't needed if you go to the store as they will measure it for you.
    Last edited by GRIZ; April 4th, 2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: add quote

(Centre County)

Was on a job in Cleveland and had some spare time so I decide to take a short journey (about 75 miles) to CMP North (Camp Perry). Picked up some brand new (circa 1945), still covered in cosmoline, M1 Carbine magazines. The guy at the counter was just unpacking them and showed me the box he had just unsealed. Printing showed a packing date of June 1945, they were greased up and wrapped in the oil paper, not a mark on them.

Bought my mags, a CMP Tee and a book on the M1 Garand and Carbine. Looked around a bit, talked to some other retired military guys and drove back to Cleveland. All in all a very good afternoon, the CMP people couldn't be nicer.

BTW, one of the guys at the counter (a CMP guy) that I was talking to said that the guns they get up there are the guns that Anniston (CMP South) can't do much more with. All the guns go to Anniston first for examination, then refurbishment and then to fill the mail orders and then sent to CMP North. He said that if you're not in a big hurry, it is better to do you paperwork and send the order to CMP South, you'll probably get a better gun for the money although it will take longer to get. The guns I saw at Camp Perry were well used, although if you really took your time you might find one in better than normal shape. The field and rack grade guns were exactly that, nothing to write home about. They do also sell barrels, again all conditions.

If you haven't been there and get the chance, take it, you won't regret it, even if you don't buy anything (doubtful).
    Last edited by Xringshooter; April 4th, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Since you are on the east side of PA, then you might do well mail ordering. If you can drive to the North Store though, do it. I picked up a great HRA Service Grade there at the end of February and it is in amazing shape. Just over a 1.0 on muzzle and throat erosion, all correct except for the bolt, gas plug, and trigger group (swapped to be correct now though with the next rifle described next), and a beautiful stock.

That being said, I ordered a Springfield Field Grade in December. I got it 1 1/2 weeks ago. It is post-war, and is nearly correct as well - incorrect trigger group (now has an SA from the HRA above), HRA gas plug (would swap it onto the HRA but its finish is gone), the stock is pretty dinged up, and the front handguard has cracked and then was repaired with 4 metal staples. The muzzle swallows more of a bullet than the HRA, but it shot really well today . Crown is nice, bore is shiny. It has a NM rear sight but the hood is broken off. Finish isn't as good. But I couldn't be happier with it as well.

So go with whatever you can easily afford. An extra $100 wouldn't hurt though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast