Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Oaks Gun Show Today 05/16/2010

I am posting this here because it was today and has ended.

Ok, so I have been meaning to go to gun shows for a while now, but it seems every time I wanted to go something came up, OT, family birthday etc..

Well I was asked to work a booth today and so I went to the Oaks Gun Show.

The first few minutes I was there my head was spinning. I was overwhelmed with everything and felt like a child in a bike shop, or candy store.

I went around and realized there is so much I have no idea about. I have no clue about AR's (willing to learn ), tactical gear, saig 12 ga which looked awesome, AK's, old war rifles, etc.. I even saw some details that I have seen posted on here, like the red spyder I think, some cartoon posters, etc..

I will eventually look into building an AR.

But what seemed to draw my curiosity was the explosives table. The feed back targets looked pretty damn cool!! I know nothing about any of that stuff, the laws regs rules, nothing. I found it surprising and funny at the same time.

I ended up buying a couple of holsters and a cool shirt from the table next to me.

I was over whelmed and really did not see deals that I would recognize. I found this interesting. Many of the hand guns or rifles I would normally purchase were not discounted at all.

I also found it interesting the amount of people from out of state, NJ for example. When I lived in NJ until 2006 I never went to a gun show because I figured it would be a hassle with NJ regs laws etc..

Now right now I am on a tight budget so no guns for a bit.

When it comes to building an AR how are shows to get parts, or should you get them online?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Oaks Gun Show Today 05/16/2010

Quote Originally Posted by thefirstndsecond View Post
    When it comes to building an AR how are shows to get parts, or should you get them online?
    I'm not one to give you all your answers but I can give you some insight, from someone who's had a stripped lower sitting in his safe for a year and a half.

You're not going to find any good deals at a gun show these days. Prices are starting to come down, and you might save a -few- dollars vs buying at the gun shop in general, but it ends there. Aside from that gun shows offer a large variety of weapons from different dealers.

As far as AR parts go, the prices I see at gun shows are pretty much on par with online prices. The only difference being, at a gun show you can see in person what you are buying, and pick it up. The other difference being that if you shop online, you have a much much broader amount of items to buy, and there is a chance, which happens pretty often, you can get a pretty good deal on a special that's being run.

Anyways, someone who knows a hell of alot more than I do will be along shortly.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Montgomery County)

It depends on the parts. Me, i'd sooner buy from a source i'm familiar with than take a chance on what you're going to get at a gun show.

(Bucks County)

Well thanks for the input so far.

I figure I can go and see, touch and feel, but then look for pricing and support good places to do business.

I did get a chance to meet with a couple people from the PAFOA.

Govmule84

And sorry but I forget the other two guys.

(Delaware County)

I was at the Oaks show on Saturday. It wasn't nearly as crowded as the Valley Forge show. I guess the beautiful weather had something to do with it.

I noticed that Ammo prices are going down but gun (pistol, rifle, shotgun) still remain high. I got some good deals on .38 spcl and Buckshot. I was disappointed that the guy with the reloading supplies wasn't there. I almost bought one of those large 15 minute smoke grenades before i left.

I have also noticed the large number of out of state plates that come to these shows.....NJ, NY, Maryland... and it pisses me off. They should fix the problems in their own states before they come to PA.
    Crime is caused by the ready-availability of victims

(Bucks County)

I agree they should fix the issues in their own state, but when they purchase here they have to follow their state laws.

The sellers can't sell them certain items.