Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Pistol Safe, Next to Bed, at Night: Locked/Unlocked?

First, a bit about me:

This is my first post, and I'm a new firearm owner. I own a CZ-75B 9MM pistol, have taken a handgun safety class, and have been to the range with the pistol about 5 times, firing a total of abut 600 rounds through it.

I have purchased (and mounted to the wall) a pistol safe with silent/electronic combination.

I've read many threads on the pros/cons of having a weapon loaded, at the ready, but still being a novice, quite frankly, I'm not so sure that's the best idea for me now, if I were to wake up in a daze, needing to reach for my weapon. At least at this time, I'm storing the weapon unloaded, with a full clip in the safe - locked.

I have no one else living at home that has access to the safe/pistol, so my question here is: During the evening, when sleeping, safe unlocked/open, or locked?

Again, my concern is that although I realize seconds count in a personal/home defense situation, I also need to consider my ability to awaken instantly and make the correct conscious decision.

So, I'll sit back and see what those with the experience recommend. Thanks in advance.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Pistol Safe, Next to Bed, at Night: Locked/Unlocked?

I always keep a handgun in my nightstand full magazine and one in the chamber. But I also make sure I am fully awake and understand before I reach for it.

But if you are not comfortable yet leave it in the safe. What you could try and practice waking up and getting your self together before reaching for your firearm. It should help.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by cgbudde View Post
    I always keep a handgun in my nightstand full magazine and one in the chamber. But I also make sure I am fully awake and understand before I reach for it.
    I think that makes the most sense from a self defense perspective.

But if you are not comfortable yet leave it in the safe. What you could try and practice waking up and getting your self together before reaching for your firearm. It should help.
    Thanks. I suppose I should also consider that if I'm awakened by what is clearly a home invasion situation, it's pretty likely I'll snap to it in a hurry.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by marks View Post
    Thanks. I suppose I should also consider that if I'm awakened by what is clearly a home invasion situation, it's pretty likely I'll snap to it in a hurry.
    For someone in your situation it is a lot easier. In your original post you stated that, you have no one else living at home who has access to the pistol/safe. Now I could be wrong but to me it sounds like no one lives with you. If that is the case and you hear someone in your house, they are not there to take the census. So you would not have to worry too much about shooting an innocent person.

(Philadelphia County)

First, a bit about me:

This is my first post, and I'm a new firearm owner. I own a CZ-75B 9MM pistol, have taken a handgun safety class, and have been to the range with the pistol about 5 times, firing a total of abut 600 rounds through it.

I have purchased (and mounted to the wall) a pistol safe with silent/electronic combination.

I've read many threads on the pros/cons of having a weapon loaded, at the ready, but still being a novice, quite frankly, I'm not so sure that's the best idea for me now, if I were to wake up in a daze, needing to reach for my weapon. At least at this time, I'm storing the weapon unloaded, with a full clip in the safe - locked.

I have no one else living at home that has access to the safe/pistol, so my question here is: During the evening, when sleeping, safe unlocked/open, or locked?

Again, my concern is that although I realize seconds count in a personal/home defense situation, I also need to consider my ability to awaken instantly and make the correct conscious decision.

So, I'll sit back and see what those with the experience recommend. Thanks in advance.
    Being the cautious sort myself, I think it's wise to have some action necessary between being disturbed and the gun firing. You can accomplish this in multiple ways: safe locked, no round in the chamber, safe unlocked but closed (so you just need to turn the handle and open), gun in a holster in the safe (if you carry it then this is often convenient).

Consider also how you will access your gun in an emergency. Is the safe at eye level? Will you have lighting? If you are not 100% sure that you can get the gun without touching the trigger, then I would not store it ready to fire.

In your current set up, you need three steps - opening the safe, loading the mag, and chambering a round. If it were me I would do this if it was what my judgement told me was safe, but I would also want to figure out and practice how to do it more quickly.

You might consider getting a blue gun for such purposes. They cost about $40, which is a lot for a piece of plastic, but they do provide a way to practice things like retrieving your gun safely. They're also useful if you take any formal training that involves "force on force".

(Montgomery County)

For someone in your situation it is a lot easier. In your original post you stated that, you have no one else living at home who has access to the pistol/safe. Now I could be wrong but to me it sounds like no one lives with you. If that is the case and you hear someone in your house, they are not there to take the census. So you would not have to worry too much about shooting an innocent person.
    You are correct. I live alone. You've stated the situation very clearly, and when you put it that way, you're exactly right. If someone mysteriously shows up inside my home, it's not likely they're here to make friends in the middle of the night. Sometimes, it's a "forest for the trees" thing. Thanks.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Being the cautious sort myself, I think it's wise to have some action necessary between being disturbed and the gun firing.
    That's my point. Now, as cgbudde said, in my situation, it's not likely I'd end up shooting an innocent person in the middle of the night. But, what you have stated, is exactly my thought process. I wanted to put some conscious steps/thought between reaching for and firing my weapon.

You can accomplish this in multiple ways: safe locked, no round in the chamber, safe unlocked but closed (so you just need to turn the handle and open), gun in a holster in the safe (if you carry it then this is often convenient).

Consider also how you will access your gun in an emergency. Is the safe at eye level? Will you have lighting? If you are not 100% sure that you can get the gun without touching the trigger, then I would not store it ready to fire.
    It is just above eye level with a low wattage (but sufficient) light source on it. Still, I'm not sure that, at least now, I'd store it loaded, ready to fire. Taking the time to unlock the safe out of the process is my consideration for now, though yes, storing loaded or not, is of course a consideration down the road.

In your current set up, you need three steps - opening the safe, loading the mag, and chambering a round. If it were me I would do this if it was what my judgement told me was safe, but I would also want to figure out and practice how to do it more quickly.

You might consider getting a blue gun for such purposes. They cost about $40, which is a lot for a piece of plastic, but they do provide a way to practice things like retrieving your gun safely. They're also useful if you take any formal training that involves "force on force".
    Very good info/comments. Thanks to you (and all that have responded).

(Philadelphia County)

You are correct. I live alone. You've stated the situation very clearly, and when you put it that way, you're exactly right. If someone mysteriously shows up inside my home, it's not likely they're here to make friends in the middle of the night. Sometimes, it's a "forest for the trees" thing. Thanks.
    If you leave your safe open at night, I would leave something inside so that you can't leave the house without locking it. I leave my keys in my safe for this purpose.

(Montgomery County)

If you leave your safe open at night, I would leave something inside so that you can't leave the house without locking it. I leave my keys in my safe for this purpose.
    Excellent suggestion!

(Delaware County)

These are my opinions only!!

First off, this was a great 1st question and welcome to the PAFOA forums.

I have a keyed locking safe that I keep multiple weapons in. BUT, I keep a weapon attached to a mount to the side of the bed. It is under the covers, attached nicely between the mattress and box spring. It is full service ready.

Now for me, I am a heavy sleeper. I'm the guy you could pick up the bed and put me up in a tree and I would wake up and fall on my ass. When I was single I was often worried that a BG could come straight up and take a gun out of my nightstand and use it on me, while I snored in a deep slumber. So I made the attachment I still now use. It's just some wood screwed together with a holster hanging on it!

My wife on the other hand sleeps very lightly and often wakes me to "hear that noise?" Once she does that, my senses are immediately on. If I have to investigate, my weapon is ready and I grab my flashlight sitting on the nightstand.

So you do what works best for you. Tell no one on what you do or what your plan is. Just have one!

Good luck, and I'm sure there will be lots of more advice coming!

Merry Christmas!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast