Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Washington County)

Default Hastily made foreign ammo is tempting but...

Just saw on FB that someone had a bad round that made their gun come apart while shooting 9mm Turan brand Turkish ammo. Case looked to have been over charged as it blew out the back of the case. I’m not surprised that foreign ammo hastily made for the demanding US market would do such a thing. I’m sure it is rare, but still who wants to be the guy that gets one. Pay more for tried and true or roll your own.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Hastily made foreign ammo is tempting but...

Part of why I havent been in a hurry to buy much, even (or especially?) that which is a relative deal.

(Fayette County)

I was thinking about buying a case of that ammo from Turkey but decided not to because I didn't know anything about that ammo maker.
    Also, Turkish and US relations have been poor in the last couple years and it wouldn't surprise me if an employee on the production line sabotaged some of the ammo. I know that is unlikely, but it is possible.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Wayne County)

I stocked up many years ago. I may pick a few things up in trades, but it isn't "new" manufactured...foreign or otherwise. I like new old stock. Heck, I have some .22lr that dates back to the 80s... LOL! And, no, no Thunderbolts!
    Small hand made batches of beef jerky...Mountain Meats and More on Face Book

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Roadking View Post
    I stocked up many years ago. I may pick a few things up in trades, but it isn't "new" manufactured...foreign or otherwise. I like new old stock. Heck, I have some .22lr that dates back to the 80s... LOL! And, no, no Thunderbolts!
    Yeah, I've always been an ammo and mag hound myself.
    I still have some Norinco steel core 7.62x39 ammo that I bought back in the mid 90's. From what I hear it's really worth some money.
    Those were the good old days. A case of 1,000 rounds cost $60 and brand new AK's were selling for $300.
    I wish I had known then what I know now.
    I've also got some original Black Talon's in. 40 and 9mm.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoshIronshaft View Post
    Just saw on FB that someone .
    That's convincing LOL
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Was it 9mm NATO?
    I vaugely recall rare issues with winchester releasing 9mm NATO marked boxes a while back.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rosco the Iroc View Post
    That's convincing LOL
    Pictures were posted of the ammo box, the blown up casing, and the gun but I didn’t feel like moving them over to here.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    Was it 9mm NATO?
    I vaugely recall rare issues with winchester releasing 9mm NATO marked boxes a while back.
    The box shows 9mm Luger.

Funny thing, I have a cheap AR9 barrel I bought as a blem because the manufacturer mistakenly stamped the barrel as chambered in 9MM NATO instead of 9MM Luger or just 9x19.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    Yeah, I've always been an ammo and mag hound myself.
    I still have some Norinco steel core 7.62x39 ammo that I bought back in the mid 90's. From what I hear it's really worth some money.
    Those were the good old days. A case of 1,000 rounds cost $60 and brand new AK's were selling for $300.
    I wish I had known then what I know now.
    I've also got some original Black Talon's in. 40 and 9mm.
    I lived in California then. UPS left two clearly marked wood cases of 7.62x39 on our doorstep in a residential suburb at the edge of the desert. I did take issue with that. My roommate and I shot up every last round in the high desert, as we did with uncountable cases bought in local shops and in other places.

We had a third (woman) roomate who was anti gun until she went to the desert with us and played, and saw that we were not bad people and were having fun. I have pictures of her dressed in Patty Hearst like garb blasting away with an SKS, but I'll ask her before posting photos. To this day she is a very conservative woman, and I will take a little credit for that. Even better is that she later married an idjit and turned him around. She has magical hips, and if you get close enough to her to experience that (won't happen since she got married), you will fall under her spell. 40 years later, I'm still happy about the short time I had close to her and am truly happy that she found her soulmate, and we are still close friends..
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!