Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need help with reloading

I'm gonna start reloading and not sure what kind of primers and powder to get? My bullets are 125grain lead bullets just for paper. Here is the link to them http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=838992
    I'm using a Lee Load-Master Progressive Press Kit 9mm Luger. Anybody wanna help me please Not sure if it matters but i'm gonna be using them in a ruger sr9 and sig p228 at about 20-25 yards.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Need help with reloading

Do you own a reloading manual? if not get one. In your case I would suggest Lee's "Modern Reloading" It will answer your question and more. You really need a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Normlizer View Post
    I'm gonna start reloading and not sure what kind of primers and powder to get? My bullets are 125grain lead bullets just for paper. Here is the link to them http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=838992
    I'm using a Lee Load-Master Progressive Press Kit 9mm Luger. Anybody wanna help me please Not sure if it matters but i'm gonna be using them in a ruger sr9 and sig p228 at about 20-25 yards.
    USNRET '61-'81

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwilson452 View Post
    Do you own a reloading manual? if not get one. In your case I would suggest Lee's "Modern Reloading" It will answer your question and more. You really need a manual.
    I agree with rwilson452 100%. Everyone also has their own preferences for powders, charges, seating depths, etc. I use W231 or unique with regular primers for my 9mm with 125 gr. cast bullets, but check out the manuals for your own choices. When you go to the shop to buy powder, you may not have very many choices with what they have in stock. Get the list from the manual first so you'll at least be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadHead View Post
    I agree with rwilson452 100%. Everyone also has their own preferences for powders, charges, seating depths, etc. I use W231 or unique with regular primers for my 9mm with 125 gr. cast bullets, but check out the manuals for your own choices. When you go to the shop to buy powder, you may not have very many choices with what they have in stock. Get the list from the manual first so you'll at least be prepared.
    Good choices of powder, I'd add Titegroup. Small pistol primers.

Get a loading manual or two.

Online loads are a good backup source.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

also what else do i need besides a press and die set and tumbler. I heard a primer pocket cleaner and something else for the primer pocket?

(Montgomery County)

Lightbulb Re: Need help with reloading

I highly recommend Winchester 231 with a tapered flat nosed bullet like this: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=785350. I'm also a fan of Berry's plated bullets http://berrysmfg.com/product.aspx?i=14475.

Take whatever small pistol primers you can find, but when they're available, I prefer CCI and Winchester.

The best advice I can give you is to find a local shop for your supplies, and get to know the people there. They will be able to give you better deals on the supplies (midway is very high), and good advice on what other customers are using.
    Fred

(Montgomery County)

also what else do i need besides a press and die set and tumbler. I heard a primer pocket cleaner and something else for the primer pocket?
    If you already have the press/dies, here's a good starting point for what else you're going to need for doing 9mm... You could use much more than this, but this is enough to get you started. You can replace the Dillon part for whatever you want to use (I like the Dillon products, but they are high priced). If you don't have the press/dies yet, get a Dillon XL650 and you will never regret it!

You don't really need to worry about trimming cases or cleaning primer pockets for 9mm. Just make sure you have the right amount of powder, not too much crimp, and the right seating depth (here's where the load manual comes in).

Undoubtedly I left something important out, but someone else will probably fill in the gap.

-- DO NOT pry crushed primers out with pliers!! --
    Fred

(Susquehanna County)

Don't even THINK about reloading until you have two manuals and have read the "how to" section of both. You have a press, dies and a tumbler. How about a reliable scale? You know, one that measures to 1/10 of a grain and can repeat the measurement many times. Doesn't matter if it is electronic or the "old fashioned" beam type. And as to your dies, do you have a taper crimp or at least a factory crimp die? 9mm Para headspaces on the case mouth so you don't want to use a roll crimp.

I never had good luck reloading 9mm, first off the cases are stubby so I had trouble handling them. But the biggest problem was that I just couldn't get the bullets to stay seated unless I used either a cannulured bullet or a cannulured case. The bullets would just push back into the case under no more than thumb pressure no matter how much crimp I tried to use. So be careful and double check your steps.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...ead-first.html

Read that, then feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Welcome aboard.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Don't even THINK about reloading until you have two manuals and have read the "how to" section of both. You have a press, dies and a tumbler. How about a reliable scale? You know, one that measures to 1/10 of a grain and can repeat the measurement many times. Doesn't matter if it is electronic or the "old fashioned" beam type. And as to your dies, do you have a taper crimp or at least a factory crimp die? 9mm Para headspaces on the case mouth so you don't want to use a roll crimp.

I never had good luck reloading 9mm, first off the cases are stubby so I had trouble handling them. But the biggest problem was that I just couldn't get the bullets to stay seated unless I used either a cannulured bullet or a cannulured case. The bullets would just push back into the case under no more than thumb pressure no matter how much crimp I tried to use. So be careful and double check your steps.

Absolutely +1,000 on the manuals and the reading therof. We can't emphasize that highly enough. Know what you are doing BEFORE doing it. Also, if you can find an experienced reloader in your vicinity who can coach you along would be a great step in the right direction.

Brick, if you were having the bullets slide back into the case, the cases were being mouth-expanded entirely too much. In properly expanded cases, the bullets should start in a few thousandths without effort, but the rest of the bullet seating should require moderate pressure, and 9mm should have no roll-crimp, just a taper. I have had success with tapering the mouth-expander on several die sets to provide that. You need not stretch the case out a lot, even though the expander came from the factory doing just that. You can rework the expander to give you what you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast