Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default New Britain Township (Bucks County) Preemption Violation UPDATE

I sent a letter to the New Britain Township Board of Supervisors and the township solicitor notifying them that this park ordinance does not comply with 18 PA C.S. §6120 (a):

“Other than an officer of the law, no person shall carry… a firearm [or] rifle… within the park system.”
    I already received a response from the solicitor, John Rice, that the ordinance will be amended to read:

Possession or use of any type of firearms is prohibited where such possession or use is in violation of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act, 18 Pa C.S. §6101, et seq. Archery equipment may only be used in special areas provided by the township for such use.
    Last edited by kcr121; September 20th, 2011 at 06:24 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: New Britain Township (Bucks County) Preemption Violation

Keep an eye peeled to make sure signs, web page, etc all get changed.

Good work. Please let us know when the changes are formally made.

The proposed amendment to New Britain Township's park ordinance that prohibited the possession of firearms within township parks was voted on at the September 12th meeting of the Board of Supervisors.

From the meeting minutes posted on the township's website:

8.2. Ordinance #2011-09-01: Firearms in Public Parks: Mr. Rice presented an ordinance amending the Park and Recreation Rules and Regulations Ordinance to bring the ordinance in compliance with the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes known as the Uniform Firearms Act by allowing firearms within the park system under the terms of the Act.

Ms. Crosman asked if the ordinance would allow hunters onto her land. Mrs. Haun explained that the ordinance only applied to Township-owned property.
    MOTION: Upon motion by Mr. Scanzillo, seconded by Mr. Cotton, and unanimously carried, the Board approved Ordinance #2011-09-01, amending the Park and Recreation Rules and Regulations Ordinance to bring the ordinance in compliance with the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes known as the Uniform Firearms Act by allowing firearms within the park system under the terms of the Act.

(Cumberland County)

Thats great. Its good to know that they were easy to deal with and are willing to be in compliance with the laws they expect us to follow.
    MOLON LABE

(Bucks County)

What's interesting is that I didn't know about this. Highlands Park is at the top of my street and I walk the mutt there all the time while carrying. I even checked the sign at the entrance and the only mention of firearms is that it's illegal to discharge. No mention prohibiting carry. Mind you, this was months and months ago, before the change.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Bucks County)

I notice they haven't changed the rules on the website yet. Might have to fire off a little reminder e-mail.
    DISCOUNTS - Steel Target Paint: beaverje10 (10% off) | Wiland USA: jbeaver05 (5% off)

(Bucks County)

I contacted them about the signs around Lake Galena, but they refused to do anything about it because apparently Peace Valley Park is owned and maintained by the county.

(Bucks County)

I was talking about the township parks. the signs are fine, just the rules and regulations PDF on the township website is out of date. Still lists the rule that was voted on and changed.

(Bucks County)

Gor a response from Eileen Bradley, Township Manager. She said she would get it taken care of. The changing of the PDF that is.