Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: savage FP110

Default savage FP110

I am interested in finding a long range rifle and the savage was recomended. I haven't seen this rifle on savages webpage. 1. Does anyone have any suggestions on a moderately price rifle that will suffice for LR shooting. 2. What caliber should I be lookoing for? I am looking at .300 winmag, .308, 7mm and 270WSM. Know where I can find the savage mentioned above?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Eouzts

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: savage FP110

http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm

The 110 is long action I believe.

My vote is for .300 win mag for long range......

Lycanquicklinkthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lancaster County)

The 100 is a long action, with the 10 being a short action(on newer models,it gets confusing on some older models from 10yrs ago and older).

The 10fp 308 is a very nice gun, the only drawback is the factory synthetic stock is cheap. If you can find one with the Choate stock it is very solid, or the Mcmillan or HS Prec. stock, but they are a few hundred dollars more.

What kind of LR shooting are you planning on doing? varmints/casual target/ competitive targets, etc.

A couple other models that are very nice are the:
    - model12 vlp(stainlessbarrel and action,laminatedstock, lightweight accutrigger)
    -12f/tr(target action/target accutrigger/full 1" tube bull barrel(26" or 30" long),laminated heavy benchrest stock)

It really depends on what kind a shooting you wanna do. You can buy the action, Shilen barrel or similar, and stock and have a custom tailored to your exact needs for a really decent price also.

Got one for a friend, Mdl 10FP .223 put a Tasco 6X24 scope on it. The first day at the range he shot 5/8" groups at 100yds. with cheap Federal ammo. Every Savage that I have seen shot up a storm out of the box.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

(York County)

The 10fp has more stock options than the 110 LA series. I have a 10fp-le2b with the McMillan stock and it is worth the extra money. The cheap tupperware stock sucks if you are looking for accuracy but great at keeping the weight down. These rifles are very accurate out of the box. For long range the 300 would do better than the 308 but 308 can hold it's own. I have shot mine out to 1000 yards and while the wind will mess you it's still accurate. If you are serious about long range you may want to look at the model 12 precision varminter in 6mm.

Last edited by penguinland; September 3rd, 2008 at 08:45 PM.
    "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid" - Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Thumbs up Re: savage FP110

When I first developed the desire to get into long range shooting. I did my research and went out with the intention of buying a Remington 700. But, when I got to the gun store. The guy behind the counter did me a great service when he help change my mind into buying a SAVAGE 10 FP. He explain that the only thing I needed to do was change out the cheap stock. So, i bought a Bell and Carlson stock from Cabelas for 110 dollars. not the best. But it was a big improvement. I love this rifle and have no regrets.

Savage will handle what you need it to. Others have given a bit of misinformation, so maybe i can help clear it up. As Lycan said, the 110 is the long action, the 10 is the short action; someone earlier said the 100 was a long action. It wouldn't surprise me if it is, but it's still not the same action as the long action 10, which is the 110. I'm a big fan of the .300 over the .308; I'm currently buildling a .300 WSM. There are lots of options with the savages, I would recommend one with an accutrigger. If you can't afford one of the more expensive models, just buy one of the cheaper ones, get a feel for that rifle and your load, and you can always change the stock later.

A word about buying some of the more expensive stocks. Unless you have extra money to spend on the project (AFTER buying the expensive stock like the McMillan), I wouldn't buy the McMillan. The Savage with the McMillan stock does NOT have pillars in it, and it isn't bedded. It's true that McMillan inlets their stocks so good that you don't have to glass bed them, but it's still better if you do bed the. Because the stock doesn't have pillars, you'll be stuck with using a torque wrench on the screws and it'll be very picky about it and it will affect your poi. If you wanted to buy a model that already had a better stock, go with the HS Precision, I believe it's the same price of cheaper. It has a full length action bedding block and pillars. Hope that helps and have fun.

Seconds on the HS Precision stock that is what my Mdl 12 has. I think that you can also buy the Accu. trigger later.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

I have the Savage 10 FCP with the HS Stock and Accutrigger. I also own a Rem 700. You realy cant go wrong with either rifle. Personally I like the Savage better.