Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default owning a gun after a crime?

hello all. i recently learned that a crime i was convicted of in 2003 has barred me for good in obtaining a conceal carry permit. so i ask, is it possible for me to at least purchase a gun and get back that hobby that i so enjoyed many years ago?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: owning a gun after a crime?

It depends on what it is.. For the most part, if you are prohibited from having a LTCF you are pretty much prohibited from ever owning/buying/touching a gun as well. There are a couple exceptions though. But a conviction that prohibits getting a LTCF for carrying will also prohibit owning 99.99999999% of the time as well.

A Governor's pardon and a expungment will be required to fix it.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lackawanna County)

doesn't expungment mean the crime is wiped out? i highly doubt that will happen since it was a corruption charge. i feel that the fact that there was no violence involved nor any weapons used, i should not be banned from owning or carrying a firearm. where is the right to bear arms in all this?

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: owning a gun after a crime?

dispute the ruling with the fourm they gave you at your denial.....you too may join my exclusive reverse denial letter club.

(Northampton County)

I don't know what the OP was convicted of, but IMHO, the RKBA is the same as any other right, and release from prison/end of parole should restore said rights. If a person cannot be trusted with ALL their rights, then they should remain incarcerated. Period.

So, which is it? A right, or a privilege? I do hope that someday, someone with enough $ and a really good lawyer will challenge the infringements on our RIGHTS, so that they will stop being treated like privileges.

(Franklin County)

The OP can find info here that may help to definitively answer his question, but knight is correct, with VERY small exception, if you are barred from obtaining a LTCF, it's very likely you are barred from possessing firearms as well.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dpmaze View Post
    doesn't expungment mean the crime is wiped out? i highly doubt that will happen since it was a corruption charge. i feel that the fact that there was no violence involved nor any weapons used, i should not be banned from owning or carrying a firearm. where is the right to bear arms in all this?

PA's expungment things is kinda goofy compared to most other states.. In PA you cant get one if you were convicted, unless you receive a pardon or fit other conditions. (the forum lawyers can explain that better) Expungment generally does wipe it out if you were granted one. If you weren't, or if the judge had restrictions applied to an expungment, you could still be prohibited.

Generally nearly all felonies will prohibit you, and all misdemeanor convictions from domestic abuse will too on the federal level.

Also under federal law any state misdemeanor that you could have received more than 2 years in prison/jail will prohibit you as well. ...which with PA laws is M1 or higher. Summary, M3 and M2 are upto 2 years or less.

PA law also prohibits certain other offenders regardless of the level of crime. That list is in Title 18, Chap.61, Subsection 6105.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Chester County)

Here we go again! Another admitted criminal wants his cake.......You should have been so concerned back when, then maybe you wouldn't have done the crime in the first place. Maybe you should have used your head the first time. So stop whining and take your lumps pal..........

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    Here we go again! Another admitted criminal wants his cake.......You should have been so concerned back when, then maybe you wouldn't have done the crime in the first place. Maybe you should have used your head the first time. So stop whining and take your lumps pal..........

Part of me wants to say that. Another part however says that depriving someone of their 2nd Amendment Rights for their entire life over something that has nothing to do with guns would be a cruel and unusual punishment. Not to mention wholly inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Poonie View Post
    easy there big guy, he was only convicted for corruption, maybe he was a politician?

politician/corruption= firing squad (if thats the case)
    FJB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast