Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default How were you treated by the local LEO for Form 1?

I recently submitted a Form 1 to make a Short Barreled Rifle. Naturally, I had to get approval from the Chief Law Enforcement Officer in my county (Delaware).

The problems I incurred through this ordeal was with finger printing. Initially, I expected the Sheriff's department to offer this service. They do not. I was told by an office employee to contact the State Police.

I called the State Police Barracks and was assured they would fingerprint me on Wednesdays between 12-3 PM. Upon arriving at the barracks, I was told they do not fingerprint for Form 1 applications. The person behind the desk told me they only finger print people who need a background check and their employers would be billed, and the print cards would be sent to them. They suggested I try the Upper Darby Police Department.

I then called the UDPD and was told they do finger print between the hours of 11 AM and 7 PM, for a fee of $20. Upon arriving at the police department, I was told to come back, they had too many arrests that morning and they must be printed to process these folks into the system.

I returned to the PD the next day. No criminals to be processed. I was asked to hand over my finger print cards. No one told me I had to submit blank finger print cards. I thought that was the purpose of the $20 fee.

After waiting a period of 30-45 minutes, the finger print technician got clearance from his supervisor to print me.

Next I called the sheriffs department to get a CLEO signature on the Form 1.

No one I talked to had any idea what I was talking about. In disgust I hung up the phone. I had a bright idea to email the sheriff's office to complain. I was contacted the next day with all the information I needed and made an appointment with the Chief Deputy Sheriff later in the week.

I almost had another surprise dumped on me. In order to get the CLEO signature, the Sheriff's Department requires all applicant to first have an up to date LTCF. I never knew that. Luckily I had one.

It was all down hill after that. I made my appointment with Chief Kelly and he processed my forms. He was courteous and helpful. He was amazed at my difficulty to get to this point in the application process.

Any way, that part of the process is done. Now it is the BATFE's turn to make me jump through another set of hoops.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: How were you treated by the local LEO for Form 1?

Contact one of the lawyers on this board and have them form an LLC or trust for you. Then you'll never need to deal with CLEO's, finger prints, or photos again.

Glad it all worked out for you in the end though.

(Bucks County)

I went to my sheriff's office in Bucks County this morning. I didn't have my pictures on my form 1 but they we super helpful and sent me to a place within walking distance. I came back dropped off the papers, went to lunch and they were waiting for me when I came back! This is the second CLEO signoff and both times were no problem. BTW about 7 different people came in to fill out new CCW apps while I was there. The clerks said it been non-stop since the election!

(Centre County)

Just did the whole process again in the last few weeks. The only difficult part was finding a time that was good for my friend to print me. Time to find a new county to live in or do what Guns4fun suggest.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(York County)

Was treated great in York Co,process is streamlined. Yes,you do have to bring your own Finger Print cards,the Feds like you to use their's.The BAT men will send you some when you request the forms,they actually sent extra in case the prints got messed up.Now you know. Criminals SHOULD get priority in a PD for fingerprints ! Getting a Form 1 or 4 done is not as important as getting the hoodlums processed. Actually sounds like you did not have too tough a time. Some places are a major PIA from what is heard.Going to the State Police for any reason is never a good idea.
    So,now that you got your Form one off,what cha gonna do a SBR on?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    Going to the State Police for any reason is never a good idea.
    Not necessarily true. The first time I got printed for my first suppressor I got printed by PSP, old school with the ink and everything. However every time after I've got friends to do it for me via the computer printing systems, much easier if you mess up one!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by reels18 View Post
    I almost had another surprise dumped on me. In order to get the CLEO signature, the Sheriff's Department requires all applicant to first have an up to date LTCF. I never knew that. Luckily I had one.

It was all down hill after that. I made my appointment with Chief Kelly and he processed my forms. He was courteous and helpful. He was amazed at my difficulty to get to this point in the application process.
    Do you really need a LTCF or were you simply asked if you had one? I remember back in 1999 when Kelly signed my Form-4 he asked if I had one. That license has since expired and I never renewed.

I do have a copy of my Form-4 though. Why wouldn't that be good enough?

I have been meaning to get a new LTCF. I just never got around to it.

I'm also still waiting on the BATFE to send me my cards.