Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Questions about the CA wasr-10

Hello all. I'm looking for an ak and I have some questions. If it matters the ak will be my all hell breaks loose rifle, and mainly a fun rifle to shoot with.

1.) What is a reasonable price for a wasr-10?

2.)Also what should I examine? I know to look at the magazine well, the canted sight, and trigger slap; but is there anything else?

3.)I have also read that the newer models are much improved over the old models and all of their problems. So how do I know if the one I'm buying is a new one?

4.) What is a reasonable price for a 30-rd magazine? a 75-rd drum? Also should I look into poly magazines, or stick to the metal ones?

5.) Can this rifle hit 5" at 100 yards reliably (given an average shooter)?

6.) Should I consider another ak? Someone said to go with a Saiga conversion, but I don't want something that involves any more than basic tool work.

Thanks in advance.

Jon
    Last edited by jon'76; November 13th, 2007 at 07:41 AM.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Questions about the CA wasr-10

Hi, Jon. I'm not sure what your price range is, but I would check these guys out:

http://www.lancasterarms.com

These can be had for $499 on Atlantic Firearms and East Coast Firearms and they seem to be of higher quality than the $300-$400 Century WASR's.

And someone with reasonable skill should be able to shoot within 4MOA at 100 yds with an AK reliably.

Hope this helps,

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Northumberland County)

1. $350-375 ish

2. you wont notice trigger slap until you fire it. the fsb would be the only thing id worry about.

4. used 30 rnders can be found for $10 ea. i dont like druns, but ive seen them as cheap as $90 latley

5. the ak is a 4-6 min rifle, so if you do your part, it should stay there.

6. i have one and it works great. better ones can be found for more money. fit and finish is one of the areas on this rifle where money is saved.

(Philadelphia County)

So for someone who would be willing to refinish the rifle, well I would help my grandfather help me most likely, would you suggest a wasr 10? All I really care about is functionality as long as the gun is comfortable to use. Also I was considering replacing the stock and foregrips with synthetic if I can't get them finished, so that wouldn't be a huge issue.

Does the milling of the magazine interfere with the reliability of the gun much?

Also I have a $2200 dollar budget, which can go no higher than $2500.

With that I need to be able to purchase:

Safe - $600 = 24 gun fireproof, electronic, gun safe
    .22 rfile - $267.5 for a mark II bv or $350-375 for a mark II btvs or $195 mark II F
    AK Clone - $400
    Mossberg 500 - $350
    gun cleaning stuff - $50
    ear protection - $50
    .22 ammo - $70 = 1000 rounds
    12ga ammo - $100 = 250+ rounds target ammo and 250+ rounds #00 buckshot
    7.62x39mm ammo - $200 = 1000 rounds

Does my price estimation seem reasonable?

(Northumberland County)

the mag well was orig narrow for the ban era single stack 10 rnders, when they get opened out, the mag stabilizers that the orig dbl stackers had arent there, so most have a noticible side to side wobble, for the most part this wont be severe enought to affect function. some epoxy shims into the receiver to replace the stabilizers.

i have one, it goes bang every time i pull the trigger. imo, thats all that counts.

if you shop around enough, you might be able to find one around $300, but for the most part, prices are going up on all firearms.

(Philadelphia County)

Excellent thanks for the advice.

I'm willing to spend money now so that I can get one before the next election. I was in fact thinking of buying a couple extra as investments because I don't see the price going down any time soon.

I was just undecided on the make, but from what I've read wasr 10s are reliable and easy to fix, and that's enough for me. I don't mind if they're not pretty.