Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Do you reload the 7.62 X 54R

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about this round. On another forum a discussion is going on about the Mosin Nagant and the 7.62 X 54R round, To keep this simple I only researched the Jacketed bullet for this rifle. No need muddying the water further with cast bullets.

I read an article some time back saying if you own one of these Rifles you should slug the bore too find the proper Bullet diameter.

Another article stated you would be fine just loading .308 bullets for the Mosin Rifle in 7.62 x 54R. I reload many other chamberings the 7.62 X 54R is not one of them. I can see why some swear by the Mosin and others at it. A .308 bullet shot from a .312 Bore surly would not be a tack driver.

As I said I know nothing about this round other than it is popular mainly for the availability of cheap surplus ammo. I would assume the surplus ammo would be closer to .308 than .312. Also if you reload this round did you slug the bore or just go with the .308 jacketed bullet or larger. Also has anyone ever checked the Diameter of the bullet used in the Surplus ammo.

Wikipedia gives caliber from .308 up to .312.

I checked bullet diameter in three of my reloading manuals for the 762 X 54R.

Hornady Manual.308 or .312.

The newer Lyman Manual .311 and .312.

My old Lyman 45th addition only the .308.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Do you reload the 7.62 X 54R

Here is the general rule: American 7.62 anything is .308". Foreign made 7.62, especially from from Com-block countries should be .311" +/- .001". The exception to the foreign 7.62 being .311" is when the cartridge was originally designed with a .308" projectile(.300H&R, and other sporting cartridges).

Cheap surplus ammo was likely made in foreign countries for the intended guns, ie: 7.62x54R for the Mosins - which were .311" groove guns. 7.62x39 for AK's/SKS's - which again are .311" groove guns. That bulk/surplus ammo was more than likely made in a former Com-Block country.

One of reasons why many foreign countries used .311"-.312" in "7.62" rifle bullets is because they also used "32 caliber" handguns, and the bullet jackets could be formed from the same dies and mandrels. ...saving $$$ and time of retooling.

The confusion started when Ruger made the Mini-30(7.62x39) in .308" groove.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Dauphin County)

I have two rifles that I have slugged the bores on, a Russian 91/30 slugged at .312/.313", and a Finn M39 slugged at .312".

I also just checked two different makes of surplus ammo. The Russian silver-tip in copperwashed steel case, headstamped 188 over 74, measures .3105" diameter. The Czech silvertip in laquered steel cases, headstamped bxn 64, measured .311" diameter. These both should be 147-148 grain projectiles.

I do reload for this cartridge. I use Prvi Partisan brass, which I purchased as loaded ammo, just to get the brass. I have loaded it probably 6 or 7 times already. I have used IMR-4350 and Varget powders. Right now I am using Varget, and have achieved some sub-MOA groups, but not consistently. 2 inches at 100 yards is common, though.

Generally, I have found the 174 grain projectiles to be the most promising for accuracy. I have used Sierra MatchKing 174 gr. BTHP in .311" diameter, and Hornady Match BTHP in .312" diameter. I believe I am getting better results with the Sierra, and when I have used all of the Hornady bullets that I have on hand, I will switch back to Sierra. Hornady does make a 174 grain FMJBT bullet in .3105" diameter, so maybe I will give that a try, too.

I also have used 150 grain bullets in .311 diameter, and I also reload 7.62x39 with 123 grain bullets at .310" diameter, which I may try in the 7.62x54R. I have heard some people say that good loads and groups can be achieved with 123 grain bullets.
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

(Westmoreland County)

Thank you both for the answers to my questions, I like the old Military rifles and have 4 Mausers. I reload and shoot cast bullets in. I cast two 30s, A 7MM and 8MM bullets for the Mausers.

I have seen a lot of talk concerning the Mosin Nagant on the forums. And considered buying one.

My brother recently bought a British 303, He also ordered the Lyman 314299 mold for it.

He doesn’t cast so I will be keeping the mold and doing the casting for him. I have kicked the idea of buying and loading for the Mosin for some time now. I just did not want the expense of another $60.00 mold if one of the 30s would have been suitable.

He slugged the barrel on the 303 with a line sinker, He told me he has a reading of .312. I had him order the .314 H&I die.

So now I have no excuse not to look into a Mosin. I have H&I die for both the 30s in .309 and .311, With his .314 I should have the right H&I Die. If not the H&I dies are not that expensive.

Depending on the alloy the .314 die should be a good fit with the Lyman 314299 in the Mosin from what you are telling me.

Dunham had some Mosin Nagant rifles on sale for $139.00, I may take a trip back in and see if I can find a good one, If so then the fun of finding Reloading dies, an M-die and brass for it,

(Schuylkill County)

Reloading the 54R is like reloading the 9mm.. you can, but there are tons of cheap ammo sources out there that make it kinda hard to justify unless you are loading for accuracy/distance rounds.

$170 for 880 rounds is $0.19 a round.
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...Can&groupid=40

If you load 55gr of powder a round (55gr*880=48400gr/7000gr) is 7lbs of powder. An 8lb jug of IMR4895 is $200 shipped (if its in stock), plus $30 for primers, and oh, $100 for 150gr bullets.

You're well over $300 for $200 in bullets.

Now throw in 2+ hours of time.... so yeah... buy the surplus ammo.. it will shoot just as good as anything you can make.
    Last edited by Farbmeister; February 28th, 2014 at 11:20 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I reload for many different calibers but not the 7.62x54.
    I don't have a platform that would benefit from it and it simply wouldn't be very cost effective to warrant it.

So pretty much what Farbmeister said above.
    Last edited by Fragger; March 1st, 2014 at 12:20 AM.
    Please feel free to visit a forum that I moderate:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php

(Westmoreland County)

I believe some may have missed the point completely. I reload 7 different pistol rounds and 9 rifle. I also cast with 15 different molds, I enjoy working with different load and alloys in casting.

Only about half of these are cheaper to reload jacketed bullets for. But then I am shooting free lead. And loading with shotgun powders. A typical 9mm load for me would be a 121-Grain Lyman bullet over 4.0 grains of HP-38 with recycled lead. I don’t think many out there can say they shoot 9MM any cheaper.

A couple other bullets I cast and shoot are the 44Mag, here again I cast a Lyman recycled lead 225 grain cast bullet with 6.5 grains of Red-Dot, As well as a 45LC I also load with 6.5 Grains of Red-Dot with a 255 grain bullet. Check the store price on either lead or jacketed in these rounds.

When you get into my Military rifle cast bullets, I shoot red-dot in them as well. I do cast a Lyman 170 grain bullet I use for hunting in a 336.I use IMR-3031 and a gas check, This would be my most expensive cast load, But then I have take three very nice Bucks with this bullet and load. A box of theses are still much cheaper than loading any jacketed bullet on the market.

In the Mausers I shoot a 180-grain Lyman bullets in the 308 and 3006 with red-dot powder, here again you can’t get any cheaper than this. But then it’s not just about savings.

I am I guess one of the oddities that enjoy working with cast Bullets and mixing the alloys used in them, as well as reloading a variety of chamberings. I do also load Jacketed bullets with the Rifle powders in my modern Rifles.

For me it is not just about the cost, I enjoy shooting, reloading. And casting.

(Schuylkill County)

For a popular round like .30-06 or a goofy round like 8mmJS then yeah.. reload and enjoy the hobby.

But paying MORE than simply buying it is literally paying to reload. Everyone has oddles of calibers (I do 8 different calibers).

But its hard to justify 'enjoying' the hobby when you spend $0.60 to make something you can buy for $0.20

(Westmoreland County)

To each his own. Using the cost calculator I came up with .06 cents per round. I did not add the cost of brass, as this would be a one-time expense. Shooting light lead loads 50 cases would last a very long time.

I also did not add the price of Lead as I have been recycling bullets shot into a bullet trap for 3 or 4 years. I have a very good supply of free lead.

The only long-term cost would be the Red-Dot powder. I buy for under $20.00 a pound and the last LR primers I bought were $30.00 a thousand.

The only other one-time expense would be a set of RCBS Dies about $35.00, and a shell holder about $6.00.

My brother wants me to cast Bullets for his British 303, he bought me the Lyman 314299 mold and H&I die. I already have the Lyman M-die in 30-L for 3006 this die is also used for the 7.62 x 54R,

I don’t put a price tag on something I enjoy. Could you imagine all the activities you would need to give up if you only did things that were cost effective.

I love hunting but its not very cost effective. I don’t play golf many do, not cheap from what I hear.

I have owned three Boats in my life, A boat is no more than a hole in the middle of the lake to throw money into.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

(Schuylkill County)

$0.06 for 54R?

55gr of any powder is going to be more than that. A primer alone is $0.03. Go ahead and price 54R boxer new brass.

Cast lead rifle bullets are not going to be in the same category as a FMJ round for velocity.

Some have converted berdan primered cases to boxer.... but not me...
    Last edited by Farbmeister; March 3rd, 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast