Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default loading shot shells for pistols???

So awhile back I bought some 44 mag cci shot shells and I was very disappointed to say the least...so I'm wondering if anyone out there loads shot shells for pistols with powder, a wad, shot, then some sort of cover crimping it all together? I'm not sure if its possible or not but I'm hoping to get some feed back and that this aint just a pipe dream lol

(Mercer County)

Default Re: loading shot shells for pistols???

Quote Originally Posted by col.klink View Post
    So awhile back I bought some 44 mag cci shot shells and I was very disappointed to say the least...so I'm wondering if anyone out there loads shot shells for pistols with powder, a wad, shot, then some sort of cover crimping it all together? I'm not sure if its possible or not but I'm hoping to get some feed back and that this aint just a pipe dream lol
    What went so wrong? I have reloaded CCI 44 cal capsules in mag cases with mag grade 7 1/2 and #8 shot, and they seem to deliver at very short range, fully within my expectations. The Speer #10 manual sure shows a great pattern using these capsules @ 15 feet, and recommends 20 feet or less for shooting small game.

Some folks will use two 44 cal gas checks to do what you want, especially if wanting to forgo buying a star crimp die.

try 8 grains unique or universal clays .44 cal gascheck shotand another . gascheck and top of the shot and crimp. this load is in 44 mag brass
    Last edited by drwho; April 18th, 2012 at 09:18 PM.

(Beaver County)

Drwho, thats the kind of info I'm looking for!! How do I kno how much shot to use? Do i go by grains? Have you personally done this?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    try 8 grains unique or universal clays .44 cal gascheck shotand another . gascheck and top of the shot and crimp. this load is in 44 mag brass
    I did it this same way in the 44 spl. Just weigh out 240 grs of pellets and I just used the starting data for a fairly fast powder like Bullseye,231,red dot ect. Seemed like the heavier the load the bigger the pattern got at say 7-10 paces.

Quote Originally Posted by col.klink View Post
    Drwho, thats the kind of info I'm looking for!! How do I kno how much shot to use? Do i go by grains? Have you personally done this?
    load the powder then the 44 cal gascheck then fill the rest of the case with shot leaving room for another gascheck on top of the shot . then alight crimp to hold the gas check in

(Beaver County)

Well aint that just the cats ass! Why has no one ever told me about this lol definitely gonna have to try it!!!

(Clarion County)

Have done this making styrofoam wads from an egg carton or what they serve a fast food burger in. Take an empty case sharpen the mouth with a chamfering tool, knock out the primer and insert small nail in case. Cut several wads at a time and push out with nail. Follow advice given for loads, powder, wad, shot, and I seal the top wad with a drop of shellac. A link with pics: http://www.castbullet.com/reload/44shot.htm
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Jefferson County)

Performance is about the same no matter how it's loaded. ..whether by capsule or wad & cap - you will still have issues due to firing it thru a rifled barrel with out a choke.

If I were to give an advantage to either method - it would be to the capsule method. You can hold more shot with it versus a wad/cap method. And with the shot spreading like a fan, more shot will improve the chances of a hit.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Clinton County)

i've read much info on loading pistol shotshells. common knowledge has it that shorter barrels produce the best patterns and shot capsules are prefered.

regardless, i cobbled up some .45 colt shotshells for a friend's s&w 4" mountain revolver. i used cardboard wads cut from the back of tablets, 6.5gr of red dot and as much #8 shot as i could fit in with a .45 cal gas check loaded flange up then crimped in place.

i tried a few in my 8" s&w 25-5, surprised that at 15' the pattern was a uniform 12-15". so much for the "long-rifled-barrel-ruins-pattern" information i'd read. true, however, was the reputed amount of leading from shotshells in rifled arms.
    ignorance is fixable...