Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default leaving my gun locked in glove box?

I work as a coke a cola merchandiser. Basically I'm the guy you see at the grocery store stocking the soda shelves and building the rediculous soda displays lol. I carry in a galco stow and go iwb holster and worry if while bending, reaching up, or pulling 1000lb soda pallets through isles my gun will become unconcealed and someone will complain possiblely getting me fired. I'm not sure if it is or isn't against my companys policy to carry while working and I am aware I can carry as a customer in grocery stores and not worry about this. I hate leaving my gun anywhere but I figure it may be better than not having it at all? Is it legal to leave my gun locked in my glove box/trunk locked while at a store? Like if god forbid it was stolen would I be held liable even though I showed a genuine attempt to secure it? I have not done this yet but I honestly feel naked without it lol. I asked my boss about carrying while working and he was not sure if I could or couldn't. He offered to ask hr for me but I asked him not to in fear of them labeling me as "a gun nut". Thank you for your time and happy holidays.

Chris.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: leaving my gun locked in glove box?

It's not "illegal" to leave it in your vehicle - period. Locked or otherwise.

As for being held liable, well, I'm guessing that's for the jury to decide.
    There's nothing "illegal" about having a loaded firearm in your nightstand, but ask any parent whose child shot himself or someone else with it, and ask them if they were found "liable".

Life is full of risks - you already took one by asking your boss about carrying while working.

ETA:
    I personally don't like leaving my firearm anywhere I don't have control of it. I'd rather keep it on my person than leave it locked in my vehicle.
    That said, when I worked a job that didn't allow firearms, I didn't carry while working.

Good luck with your decision on how to proceed.
    Last edited by Emptymag; November 24th, 2010 at 07:39 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Leaving firearms in cars is bad juju...

(Montgomery County)

If you really feel the need there are several varieties of bolt down safes that can be mounted in a car. Would you generally be in a company truck? There are also mini safes that can be attached with a steel cable.

(Chester County)

Thanks bud. I guess someone would have to be an idiot to break in my car when there are cameras everywhere at grocery stores. I hate the idea of it not being on my person as well and your response is giving me a different view. My boss is a pretty cool guy who isn't anti gun so why was it a mistake to ask him? It's not like he can fire me for owning a gun and asking permission to practice my 2nd amendment right.

(Chester County)

Really? I'll have to Google those but I see that bring a pain in the ass to install. (never mounted or drilled holes in a car before. How much are the steel cable ones and method of opening them? I hate driving from store to store knowing I can't get into my glove box without shutting off the car to unlock the glove box. Then I always have the fear of being pulled over and having to tell the officer I'm carrying because all of my paperwork is in there too. If you have a link or recomendation on a bio metric steel cable one it would b much apprichated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Traveler View Post
    If you really feel the need there are several varieties of bolt down safes that can be mounted in a car. Would you generally be in a company truck? There are also mini safes that can be attached with a steel cable.

(Montgomery County)

The minisafes with cable run around $30. Depends on whether you want keys, or pushbutton which costs a little more.

On a separate note, many people will say essentially, the fewer people who know that you carry, the better. Don't forget, PA is an "at will" employment state. Your boss can fire you if he doesn't like the color of your shirt. WHy give him something he may choose to work with in a future situation?

I have two words for you. "Smart Carry".

I leave mine in the car whenever I go into a job site.

As for it being bad juju. Whatever helps you sleep at night.

In my opinion you should keep a gun on your person whenever possible and keep at least one spare in your car.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Chester County)

Elaborate. My job requires extream continueious activity and cannot think of a holster that would prevent the gun either comming out a little or printing so bad that I may as well wear a sign. Plus it needs to be as comftroble as my stow and go or it will slow me down which can't happen. I'm very rushed all day.

Quote Originally Posted by 3per View Post
    I have two words for you. "Smart Carry".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast