Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Daniel Defense VS Colt

A friend of mine would like to purchase an AR-15 and wants just a simple gas operated KISS rifle. I told him that he would probably not go wrong with any of the major manufacturers (Bushmaster, RRA, Colt, DPMS, Stag, etc..) but he is looking for a top of the line one. I told him that he should get a Colt LE6920 as that seems what is best for a basic rifle right now. Then I did a little research and from what it looks like, the Daniel Defense DDXV model might be on par with Colt. I showed him "the chart" on AR-15 comparisons which puts the 6920 at the top, but it doesn't have stats for Daniel Defense. Can anyone shed some light on how one may beat the other in terms of quality? From what it says on their website it seems like the same rifle but I may be missing something. The DD also comes with an enhanced trigger guard and a small fixed rear sight for mounting a red dot up front but he says he likes iron sights anyway so that's not really a deal breaker. DDXV can be had for $1,199 while I'm not sure but I think the 6920's are about $100 more expensive. What's the big difference in terms of quality? Or is it just the Colt name stamped on the side?

(York County)

Default Re: Daniel Defense VS Colt

First, take that chart with a huge grain of salt!
    The majority of it is just some requirements by the government contracts, whether the requirements make sense or not (remember the $600 toilet seat?).
    Worst rifle (AR type) I ever had dealings with was a Colt Hbar (back in the 80's). Nice looking rifle, but couldn't get through a magazine wthout a jam or two. I was going to buy the rifle until I tried it. Turned me off AR's until the mid-90's.
    There's some guys who swear by Colts...obviously, I think they're way overrated.

As far as Daniel Defense...read about 'em, but that's about it. Better? Who knows? More expensive doesn't necessarily mean a better rifle.

BTW, my choice, after a fair amount of research, was a Rock River Arms. Nice gun, goes bang when I pull the trigger. More accurate then I am and costs less then a grand.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; October 26th, 2009 at 06:31 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Chester County)

The XV is an excellent rifle and on par with the 6920. It comes with a nice BUIS setup (you will lose the carry handle but who cares...) a great barrel, it is also staked and tested properly.

Check out Grant at G&R Tactical I think he has them in stock and he is probably in a good mood after a weekend of shooting with Hackathorn. If you buy one soon DD has a black card deal going right now that is a smoking deal. You get a black card that's worth $250 to use on all there products. I am a Colt guy at heart, but this is a great deal on a great rifle. I would do the deal and add a DD rail... Plus it comes with a Pmag.

(Chester County)

[QUOTE=RoyJackson;950759]
    The majority of it is just some requirements by the government contracts, whether the requirements make sense or not (remember the $600 toilet seat?).
    How is ensuring that quality materials are used, and thoroughly testing a product bad?

Worst rifle (AR type) I ever had dealings with was a Colt Hbar (back in the 80's)

First off, the rifles built today are far different than the commercial rifles of the 80's. Secondly, this IS the reason that the chart is worth a grain of salt.

Nice looking rifle,
    Don't they all look alike or did you just like the Pony?

but couldn't get through a magazine wthout a jam
    Who knows, maybe it was the mags causing the malfuntions and or failures.

I was going to buy the rifle until I tried it.
    So, you didn't actually own one you just shot one? How can you offer an opinion when you have no experience with it?

There's some guys who swear by Colts...obviously, I think they're way overrated.

Obviously you have plenty of reasons to think this, even though you haven't owned one.

As far as Daniel Defense...read about 'em, but that's about it. Better? Who knows? More expensive doesn't necessarily mean a better rifle.
    So why offer an opinion if you know NOTHING about them?

BTW, my choice, after a fair amount of research, was a Rock River Arms.
    Should have used the chart, you could have bought a higher quality rifle for probably less money at the time.

Nice gun, goes bang when I pull the trigger.
    And how often would that be?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Worst rifle (AR type) I ever had dealings with was a Colt Hbar (back in the 80's). Nice looking rifle, but couldn't get through a magazine wthout a jam or two. I was going to buy the rifle until I tried it. Turned me off AR's until the mid-90's.

BTW, my choice, after a fair amount of research, was a Rock River Arms. Nice gun, goes bang when I pull the trigger. More accurate then I am and costs less then a grand.
    So, where is you experience with AR's? How do you shoot them? Plinking and target shooting? Training classes? High round count drills? Competition?

I think you'll have a difficult time trying to refute The Chart...but if you want to point to the specific areas where you think it is flawed, please point them out so we can debate them.

So your experience was with 1 commercial Colt 20 years ago, which you didn't lube up yourself...with 1 magazine...and that makes Colts junk?

I've had Aimpoints, Colts, and Glocks tank on me....they are still some of the best manufacturers in their respective markets.

To the OP: I think either would be an awesome choice. I would be inclined to buy the DD at this point, though. The customer service will probably be better, and it comes setup better, from the factory (IMO).

It's kinda like choosing between which sports illustrated swimsuit model to go to dinner with Friday night. Blonde's or brunettes? Either way, you still have some serious bragging rights, no matter which one you go home with.
    Last edited by synergy; October 26th, 2009 at 08:07 PM.

(York County)

Had 2 AR's...a pre-ban DPMS (decent rifle s long as it was fed match ammo) and the RRA.
    I shoot the AR monthly...normally 3-5 mags (30 rounds each).

Then, there was the military...but that was an M-16 waaaay back when (Navy, member of the ship's self defense force and most of the shooting was done off the fantail).

Frankly, the ammo in the 80's is about the same as today...more "match grade" ammo now though. So are the rifles...why would you think there is any difference?

As far as the testing: The DoD always overtests and overdesigns the stuff it buys. Hell, most of you bitch about the extra dollars DoD spends on testing (higher taxes) which many consider wasteful...and it is. Been in QA for 30 years, both as a defense supplier and in commercial industries, so I do know the difference. An example...Colt performs magnetic particle inspection on their military barrels. Metals rarely crack during manufacture or heat treatment. They do crack in usage, but that's not when they're tested. Other companies (RRA, for one) test to ensure the process is correct, then pull samples. Cheaper, and just as effective (anyone heard of an RRA barrel...or Bushmaster..or any barrel cracking or failing unless there was a squib load?).

So, I think that answers most the questions asked...

Also, it wasn't that long ago (90's) when Colt was not a friend to civilian gun owners...and their quality left much to be desired. To us who were into guns back then, Colt still has a lot of work to do earn our trust.
    Last edited by RoyJackson; October 26th, 2009 at 08:20 PM.
    Well, pushed 60 too hard so now I am the big SIX-OH. Now I can be a real pain in the ass! And, who says growin' old isn't fun!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    Had 2 AR's...a pre-ban DPMS (decent rifle s long as it was fed match ammo) and the RRA.
    I shoot the AR monthly...normally 3-5 mags (30 rounds each).

Then, there was the military...but that was an M-16 waaaay back when (Navy, member of the ship's self defense force and most of the shooting was done off the fantail).

Frankly, the ammo in the 80's is about the same as today...more "match grade" ammo now though. So are the rifles...why would you think there is any difference?
    Didn't know if you were commenting on a rifle not being able to run reloads, wolf, winchester, privi, etc.
    As far as the testing: The DoD always overtests and overdesigns the stuff it buys. Hell, most of you bitch about the extra dollars DoD spends on testing (higher taxes) which many consider wasteful...and it is. Been in QA for 30 years, both as a defense supplier and in commercial industries, so I do know the difference. An example...Colt performs magnetic particle inspection on their military barrels. Metals rarely crack during manufacture or heat treatment. They do crack in usage, but that's not when they're tested. Other companies (RRA, for one) test to ensure the process is correct, then pull samples. Cheaper, and just as effective (anyone heard of an RRA barrel...or Bushmaster..or any barrel cracking or failing unless there was a squib load?).

So, I think that answers most the questions asked...
    I don't. The Chart addresses a LOT more than MPI testing. Coincidentally, HP testing would be an example of testing a rifle "in use".
    Also, it wasn't that long ago (90's) when Colt was not a friend to civilian gun owners...and their quality left much to be desired. To us who were into guns back then, Colt still has a lot of work to do earn our trust.
    Fair enough. But what does that have to do with the quality of the products on the market today? As they relate to the buyer in question?

(Lancaster County)

I suppose with any big brand name you pay for some advertising. In my research the DD AR-15 is 100% made in the USA and made by DD in house. Not so sure about Colt. I also know most parts are CNC as apposed to stamped.

(Clinton County)

My Colt LE6920 has been great so far about 2000 round put down range with no problems what so ever. Will shoot anything I put in her steel case or brass wolf,brown bear etc. Chicks dig the cute Pony on the side to

only bitch is I paid $1600 for it when the mad dash for AR's were on in the first of the year. the have come down hopefuly ammo dose the same
    Last edited by Saber; October 26th, 2009 at 10:08 PM.

(York County)

Thanks for your help guys. If it was me I think I would go with the DD and trick it out with a red dot and maybe a FF quad rail to put a light or grip on. My buddy might go with the Colt because he like the look of the carry handle sight and the fact that it says Restricted to Military and Law Enforcement on the side. I find that ironic but somewhat appealing as well. lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast