Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Response from U.S. Representative Glenn Thompson (PA-5)

Dear Mr. xxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for contacting me with regard to the Second Amendment and gun control proposals. I appreciate hearing your views on these important issues.

While I was growing up, my family owned and operated a small sporting goods store, where I was exposed to firearms at an early age and have enjoyed decades of hunting. It is my firm belief that Americans should always hold and defend the Constitutional right to keep arms for the purpose of self defense and protection.

Following the senseless tragedies in Colorado and Connecticut, some have advocated of universal background checks, a national gun registry, limits on the purchase of clips and ammunition, and a reinstatement of the ban on sales of semi-automatic weapons. While these issues will undoubtedly continue to be debated in the months to come, please be aware that I have always had a strong record of supporting and protecting the Second Amendment.

Unfortunately, I do not see a clear cut solution to completely eliminating violence by disturbed individuals. However, we have an obligation to pr otect our children. The first step is demanding the government agencies enforce the gun laws that are already on the books. These laws are aimed at keeping guns out of the hands of criminals. H aving spent nearly three decades of my career in healthcare, I can also say that America must place a much greater emphasis on addressing mental illness.

As a father, avid hunter, and your representative in Congress, I will continue to ensure that our Second Amendment rights are protected, while continuing to weigh in on the policies that govern our national gun laws. Please be assured that I will continue to keep your thoughts in mind as this debate continues.

Again, thank you for contacting my office. For more information on my policies and happenings around the 5th District, please visit my website at www.thompson.house.gov . There you can sign up to receive periodic updates via my e-newsletter, The Thompson Times.

Sincerely,

Glenn Thompson

Default Re: Response from U.S. Representative Glenn Thompson (PA-5)

And this statement was released on his website. Emphasis is mine:

Thompson Statement on President’s Plan to Reduce Gun Violence

Jan 16, 2013

Washington, D.C. – U.S. Representative Glenn ‘GT’ Thompson, R-Howard, today released the following statement in response to President Obama’s plan to reduce gun violence:

“The President has proposed a broad set of recommendations, which I plan to review carefully. There are no easy solutions when it comes to preventing violence, but we have an obligation to take every effort possible to better protect our communities, especially our children.

“I believe there are areas of policy that can be improved upon, especially identifying gaps in our mental health system, better detection of mental illness, and enhanced communication and coordination among community organizations, law enforcement agencies, and offices of public safety. I also believe that school safety and the broader issue of child safety should remain a focus at all levels of government and society as we move forward.

“While the nation has enacted many responsible limits on firearms, including long-established restrictions of gun ownership by the mentally ill and convicted felons, I do not believe that additional gun restrictions on law-abiding citizens will serve to prevent future acts of mass violence.”

###