Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Granny Get Your Glock - More citizens apply for gun permits

note some of the requirements for South Carolina LTCF permits

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...id=98756&rfi=6

Granny Get Your Glock - More citizens apply for gun permits

Buck Sawyer starts every class with a prayer thanking God for keeping his family safe. He also prays he'll know when to draw his gun.

The soft-spoken, retired law enforcement officer teaches a concealed-weapons permit class for legal residents over the age of 21 who don't reside in a mental institution, have a criminal history or harbor a notion to overthrow the government.

These days, a lot of law-abiding folks who never had much interest in gun ownership are rethinking self-defense. Sawyer's class was an eclectic mix of talents from first-time shooters -- well into their AARP years - to experienced hunters and military veterans, fluent with weapons. Some of the women looked like they'd be more comfortable at choir practice than shooting targets. But don't let bifocals and sweet manners fool you.

"Before I'd let a punk hurt me, I'd blow him up and sleep good tonight," Sawyer told the students assembled at Calvary Baptist Church in Aynor for the all-day course. "I aint afraid of King Kong, as long as I've got my Glock."
    Lorene Wright, 61, was among the first-time shooters. She borrowed a friend's gun for the class but will probably buy a weapon for protection once her permit comes through.

"I like to walk. It isn't safe, even walking with a dog," said Wright, who processes loans at Horry County State Bank. "I'm a Christian and I feel like the Lord's my greatest protector, but I think we've got to use common sense in the world we live in, so I want to be legal."

Steve Martello of Conway, 44, a member of the National Rifle Association, has two small children and wants the permit for family defense. His wife has already signed up for the next class.

He and Loris resident Adam Cooper, 26, wanted to get their carry permits before the November elections. They both feared that a victory for Barack Obama would mean the end of concealed weapons permits.

Working third shift at a motel on Ocean Boulevard made Ron Hicks of Conway aware of the dangers that surround him.

"My brother got robbed," he said. "I've been meaning to take this class for a while."

Cecil Nell Cox of Loris lost her husband in July and does a lot of traveling by car, sometimes alone. Having some protection will make her feel safer, she said.

Every student was painstakingly fingerprinted for mandatory background checks by S.C. Law Enforcement Division by Sawyer's son, while he prepped the class for their written test, introducing gun safety and reviewing laws that govern concealed weapons permit holders.

One question on the application stumped several students. It seemed like a simple question, but non-criminals instinctively check the wrong box.
    "Have you ever pleaded guilty, been found guilty, paid a fine, forfeited bond, been jailed or placed on probation for any offense?"

The answer should be "yes," even if your entire rap sheet consists of a parking ticket, Sawyer told the class. A traffic violation wouldn't disqualify the applicant, but SLED might reject the application if an applicant answered "no."

A couple of guys began to squirm, wondering if drinking too much 30 years ago would suddenly become an issue. And a few grandmotherly types, sheepishly shaking their heads in disbelief, passed a bottle of White Out around.

By afternoon, smaller groups lined up for target practice outside the church, which is insulated by woods. Everyone fired 50 rounds, learning to load semi-automatic clips or revolver chambers and firing on command.

According to the NRA Web site: "States with [Right to Carry] laws, compared to the rest of the country, have lower violent crime rates on average: total violent crime by 24 percent, murder, 28 percent; robbery, 50 percent; and aggravated assault, 11 percent."

"If it hadn't been for the National Rifle Association ... the Brady crowd, the Rosie O'Donells and the Clintons would have done away with guns," Sawyer said.

No one left the class feeling like an expert marksman, but most felt more comfortable handling a handgun. Although shooting paper targets is a far cry from reacting in a life-or-death situation, the class offered a good start.
    "I just hope I never have to use it," Wright said.

(Erie County)

Default Re: Granny Get Your Glock - More citizens apply for gun permits

"I'm a Christian and I feel like the Lord's my greatest protector, but I think we've got to use common sense in the world we live in, so I want to be legal."
    I like her common sense.

"Have you ever pleaded guilty, been found guilty, paid a fine, forfeited bond, been jailed or placed on probation for any offense?"
    Bold mine...is that a deliberately deceptive, blatantly irrelevant, or just an asinine question? Oh, that's right, this is So.Carolina...all of the above.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno