Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Banned? Rifles

(Susquehanna County)

Default Banned? Rifles

There are a few rifles that I've been wondering about. The IMI Tavor, for example. They sell them in Canada, from what I've seen, but not here. Why is that?

I'm on a site, http://www.canadaammo.com, looking at rifles. They have the IMI Tavor, a Norinco Type-97 Rifle (I know why that's banned in the US), and other Norinco items.

What about the L85A2 and the FAMAS, are they in the US and not being sold, are they banned?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Banned? Rifles

Thank Brady and the Klintons.
    "Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American" Pennsylvania Gazette, February 20, 1788
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, Canada's gun laws leave you scratchin your head at times...

But yes, thank Klinton for the ban on all things CHICOM that are even remotely military looking. This even included their little Kar98 .22LR bolt rifle!

This was basically all due to a Customs/ATF sting in the PRKali when CHICOM importers were selling scrubbed AKMs to what they thought were LA street gangs. Klinton's folks busted them, the stink went back to the CHICOM PLA, and Klinton said no more or your shitt here.

While we ALL miss the cheap Norinco semi "M14", the ammo, and their semi AKMs - we can't lose sight of the fact that they consistently like to see us on the ropes economically and politically.

So phuck em, I'll take a Romy AKM thank you. And .308's too effin expensive to shoot anyway regardless of rifle.

As for the Euro-made EBRs - thanks to the 89 ban and 922; they all have to WASR-fied or SAIGA'd before they can be imported, or, as parts kits like with the Galils and AKs.

I'm not sure how you can possibly sporterize a FAMAS or an Enfield L85 for importation.
    (Which is why I started a thread back when on which mil-sim .22's would be interesting to see made.)
    Last edited by nfafan; August 16th, 2009 at 01:38 AM.

(Susquehanna County)

I can understand Norinco even though I really want the 7.62x39 ammo right now. But the IMI Galil and IMI Tavor?! Come on, what is the problem there?

I'm on a canadian gun site learning about their laws. A number of years ago the Canadian gov't confiscated a bunch of weapons without compensation. That sucks. I'd love to buy a Tavor there but if I can't bring it into the US I'm not risking it.

(Susquehanna County)

Wow, there are H&K G36P for sale.

I've heard they're not allowed in the US too, eh?

Grr... that sucks. Who would have thought that I will be able to get firearms in Canada but not be allowed to bring them back.

Last edited by pandemic; August 16th, 2009 at 07:16 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Yep, for the original Big Brother country, Canada's gun laws sure are bizarre.

You can be a convicted felon, but if your record is clean after doing your time, you can ostensibly buy a gun again.

Here we need, what - a presidential pardon as an ex-felon??

Anyway, I seriously doubt anyone can just walk in off the street in Toronto and buy an EBR such as you have been seeing without all sorts of proper ID, so the notion of one of us USA jamokes buying one and smugging it back is likely unreasonable.

Last time I was up there I stopped in a Bass Pro shop, and all they had was BPowder and shotties.

And - IIRC, IMI tried a sporty Galil in late 89 - but I think Action Arms said 'eff it due to the expense and loss of the "real deals" - so they stopped trying.

BTW; several folks have been taking airsoft G36 guns from the top-tier-makers like CA, and reworking them to contain .22LR semi's inside them. Youtube has several vids of such WECSOG jobs.

(Delaware County)

Evil, black, and foreign. You can't have one!

I think Century Arms is selling a Galil-type rifle, called the Goliani Sporter, or something like that.. IIRC, they weigh 9.5-10 pounds, which is where I lost interest.

There are G36 clones made from SL8s, or whatever the civy version was called. Very expensive though.

L85s and FAMAS, and possibly the Tavor too, you can get in airsoft form, with the fun switch and all, although Marui might have dropped the FAMAS from the line-up.

EDIT: ARES Tavor Airsoft
    Last edited by Suburban; August 17th, 2009 at 12:59 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Oh, but don't we already?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post

I think Century Arms is selling a Galil-type rifle, called the Goliani Sporter, or something like that.. IIRC, they weigh 9.5-10 pounds, which is where I lost interest.

There are G36 clones made from SL8s, or whatever the civy version was called. Very expensive though.

L85s and FAMAS, and possibly the Tavor too, you can get in airsoft form, with the fun switch and all, although Marui might have dropped the FAMAS from the line-up.
    I've read mixed reviews on the Golani. The one I handled in Dunhams wasn't bad, but the "proprietary" mags were a letdown. Although an AR mag adapter is out there, and, the Galil was supposedly the uber-rifle at one time.

Speaking of one time; we once had the semi FAMAS imported - maybe SAMCO? - for under $1K, but the 89-ban came and they dissappeared. Possibly the rarest pre-ban semi next to the few Russian Dragunovs that were imported.

As for Tokyo-Marui's FAMAS - IIRC they are still making it, and in both versions, with and w/out bipod. Still creaky as a mo-fo, but top-shelf T-M Japanese quality.
    Biggest issue with T-M guns besides the Lexus-like price and low-powered JDM hitting power is their availability, given that they are not technically sold here by T-M, but rather imported by privateers.
    I had to search high and low before I finally snagged a near-new M4A1 with fully intact Colt trademarks. It's artwork in ABS.

Their newest metal Colt M4's with recoil, cycling bolt cover, and empty-mag bolt hold open are sneaking into the USA, but at half the cost of a Systema Pro Training Weapon. That's a lotta green unless you are into some serious airsoft combat...

A couple companies make a full-metal L85, with one of them being the SAW version. The ones to get are from Taiwan via ARES/Star - who also just happen to make the Tavor - along with a ton of other top-end airsoft EBRs.
    http://www.aresairsoft.com/tar21.html
    http://www.aresairsoft.com/aeg.html
    Last edited by nfafan; August 16th, 2009 at 09:53 PM.

(Somerset County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    Oh, but don't we already?

True + 10 chr.
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast