Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Challenging the Philadelphia Police Department in issuing carry permits

As the title very accurate describes, this thread is about doing just that. I really do think it's about time the residents of Philadelphia stand against the illegal practices of the Philadelphia PD in doling in carry permits. I'm pretty far from a legal expert, but even I can see that what they're doing is wrong, and obviously is intended to deter as many individuals as possible from procuring their carry permits.

As such, over the next few days I'll be contacting all the members on the city council, our state senators and our state reps to see which, if any, are willing to get involved in making the Philadelphia PD follow the laws as mandated by the state.

The reason I'm posting here is to see if any other members have attempted this, and what the results were. I won't be deterred from trying, but going in with information is better than not.

Edit:

Can an admin also move this to the correct sub-forum? Law & Politics would certainly make infinitely more sense.
    Last edited by LordTobias; April 22nd, 2015 at 05:47 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Challenging the Philadelphia Police Department in issuing carry permits

What exact illegal practice are you referring to ?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Challenging the Philadelphia Police Department in issuing carry permits

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    http://www.phillypolice.com/assets/d...pplication.pdf

There's the link to their application. As you can see, it very intentionally is in violation of the state mandated application process. I believe this is the Philly PD attempting to deter any potential applicants once they see the illegal requirements.

I have also personally witnessed (albeit two years ago) several people having their applications denied in person for not having one or more of these unnecessary documents. Quite frankly, it's ridiculous and has got to stop.

(Philadelphia County)

While you are at it, see if you can get them to change their name to the Philadelphia Police Licence to Carry Firearm Unit. Since we don't use Permit around here.

(Philadelphia County)

While you are at it, see if you can get them to change their name to the Philadelphia Police Licence to Carry Firearm Unit. Since we don't use Permit around here.
    I'm curious what your stance is on this, Carson. Are you for or against Philly following state law in this instance?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post
    I'm curious what your stance is on this, Carson. Are you for or against Philly following state law in this instance?
    Sounds like he is just being a "terminology nazi" troll.

Gotta love non-constructive people. They plague internet forums.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by LordTobias View Post
    I am for them following state law. But much of what you are saying has been addressed in other threads and some things rectified. Also from these threads, apparently Philly isn't the only county people have problems with.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kabloosh View Post
    Sounds like he is just being a "terminology nazi" troll.

Gotta love non-constructive people. They plague internet forums.
    Really ? LOL !

I guess I did forget the sarcasm font for the Permit vs. License issue which is brought up frequently, but when I joke about it I am a Troll.

(Bucks County)

In your opinion and if it was your choice, would YOU grant the applicant a permit to carry a concealed firearm? Yes No

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to see the question hints at possible liability if recommended with yes. Naw....they aren't trying to intimidate the reference. Naaa...

Farkin iceholes

(Delaware County)

Not sure if it's illegal, but why is Philly the only place in the state requiring:

d. ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE FINGERPRINTED.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast