Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default World War of 1778

I have been watching the History mini-series presentation from President's Day of The Revolutionary War. So much I did not know about or even took into account as far as the hardships, the length of the war, the locations of the battlelines, etc.

One interesting aspect I am paying attention to is the formation of the state's militias and how they formed to battle, how they stored their arms and powder, how they learned tactics, etc. Any state militias today would be far better prepared than the Patriots of the 18th Century.

I just watched the segment on when France first allied with the Americans in Rhodes Island, and the commentator called it a World War between America, France, Spain, Iroquois, Mohawks and maybe others.

FWIW,

LastManut
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: World War of 1778

The American Revolution was in many respects a World War. Also it was not entirely confined to the territory that would become the U. S. either. Supplies to the Continental Army were provided by France and to a lesser degree Spain (both in opposition to Britian). Oddly enough America was involved to some degree in most all of the European conflicts from the time of it's discovery. The only ones missed as near as I can tell was the Crimean War and the Franco-Prussian War.

By the way the Mohawks were Iroquois, that is the Mohawks were a member of the Iroquois Confederation (The Five Nations). The American Revolution fractured the Confederation because the member tribes were split in loyalty between the Colonies and Britian or neutrality.

Default Re: World War of 1778

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    I just watched the segment on when France first allied with the Americans in Rhodes Island, and the commentator called it a World War between America, France, Spain, Iroquois, Mohawks and maybe others.
    For more local history fun, check out the Seven Years (aka "French & Indian") War
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Years'_War
    and Pennsylvania's role in that fight
    www.fortedwards.org/cwffa/cwffhome.htm