Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry

(Beaver County)

Default Open Carry

I open carry most of the time because it's more comfortable than when I conceal carry.I conceal carry most of the time though. I thank the heaven's above for the 2nd amendment. I have only been asked twice so far as to why I carry a sidearm,my answer is simply...Same reason I have car insurance,...just in case! Then, if the conversation continues, I always say to that person...heres a more important question...Why don't you carry? It always leads to informing that individual about the 2nd amendment and their right to keep and bare arms for protection of themselves and family. All anyone has to do is watch the nightly news or pick up a newspaper. I am 53 years of age and have only for the last 3 years been into firearms and our constitutional rights.I find it comforting to know that should I ever need to defend my, or any person in my family's life, I have the right and means to do so.

(York County)

Default Re: Open Carry

Quote Originally Posted by joe magarack View Post
    I open carry most of the time because it's more comfortable than when I conceal carry.I conceal carry most of the time though. I thank the heaven's above for the 2nd amendment. I have only been asked twice so far as to why I carry a sidearm,my answer is simply...Same reason I have car insurance,...just in case! Then, if the conversation continues, I always say to that person...heres a more important question...Why don't you carry? It always leads to informing that individual about the 2nd amendment and their right to keep and bare arms for protection of themselves and family. All anyone has to do is watch the nightly news or pick up a newspaper. I am 53 years of age and have only for the last 3 years been into firearms and our constitutional rights.I find it comforting to know that should I ever need to defend my, or any person in my family's life, I have the right and means to do so.

Is there a typo in the 2 bolded statements?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Shh. It's nuance.

Joe, my wife and I have gotten a lot of relatives and friends to come around with that very line of questioning. I open carry wherever I go, and we both open carry whenever we're in the house, so any time a friend or family member visits her from the police states of New Jersey and New York it always comes up in conversation. Initially a few of her friends were just shocked that she would even think to wear a gun or keep one loaded and on hand. My statement is simple: all it takes is one second for a life to be forever changed or ended. If you could do something to prevent that from happening to you and your loved ones, wouldn't you?

We also have a couple of liberal neighbors who believe guns are best used out in the woods to kill the occasional deer or bear but never for any other reason since they have a tendency to go off and kill old women and babies. The husband is rather open to the idea of a firearm as a self defense tool, especially after bringing up the points that you have also brought up with people. His wife is not so happy about it, though. At one point I happened to see him outside and went over to talk with him a bit. She came out and asked me not to come on the property unless I leave the gun at home. So, haven't been over there in over a year. Felt bad not helping the husband shovel snow out of his driveway this past winter, but what can you do?

(Erie County)

post a sign that says the nagging wife insists on not having a gun...so please only take her jewelry when you break in. love the husband who wishes he could defend her... lol
    live to ride

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lexington View Post
    My statement is simple: all it takes is one second for a life to be forever changed or ended. If you could do something to prevent that from happening to you and your loved ones, wouldn't you?
    Watching the following will help affirm how quickly things can happen:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=942_1337867910

Warning, murder on video, there is no gore/blood however, but be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirlen View Post
    Watching the following will help affirm how quickly things can happen:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=942_1337867910

Warning, murder on video, there is no gore/blood however, but be warned.
    I don't think that video is a good example to show to defend owning and carrying guns. In that situation, there isn't much carrying would have done for the guy short of being a possible deterrent, and even then that probably wouldn't have stopped that particular shooter. Even those with the strictest situational awareness wouldn't be expecting a guy to pull a silenced pistol out from under his bag, and even if you were suspicious the bad-guy still had the upper hand. That video also doesn't help the arguments for suppressors being legal.

I will agree though that things can go from normal to horrible in a split second and being prepared, through either carrying or simply paying attention to what's going on around you, puts you ahead of most of the other people out there.

And to the OP, good job standing up for your rights and trying to educate those who inquire about it. I'd caution against using the car insurance analogy though, since you are legally required to have it, where as carrying a gun is optional. Similarly, people make the comparison to wearing a seat belt, which is also a legal requirement for the most part, and even then a large number of people don't do it. A better analogy might be life insurance or having a fire extinguisher.

(Tioga County)

Good post, OP. I tell people my gun is supplementary health insurance.

And while you are bearing arms, cover up your bare arms with sunscreen!
    MikeP

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

I read it as he OCs when it's more comfortable for him comparing to the CC.
    Je suis déplorable

(Montgomery County)

when asked what is in my "fanny pack" I always reply - "my life saving medical device".

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinakorp View Post
    when asked what is in my "fanny pack" I always reply - "my life saving medical device".
    You have one of these, too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast