Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: How to transport gun safe

https://rolalift.com/

I have a pair of these if you want to borrow them.
    Warning, they are heavy as hell all by themselves but would do the job.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frizratz View Post
    https://rolalift.com/

I have a pair of these if you want to borrow them.
    Warning, they are heavy as hell all by themselves but would do the job.
    I used to pick those up at WESCO in Lansdale when I was working and they are heavy and a PITA to handle but when they're attached to a piece of machinery to move it, they are a dream. But I don't see them being much good in a residential setting, moving a safe from the trailer to inside the house, maybe down steps and/or over a threshold. Very generous of you to offer those though, if he uses them, I hope they work out.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Bucks County)

Here's how I did mine. I got it off the back of the delivery truck into the bed of my pickup. Slid it off the tailgate onto a dolly. Took the cardboard off it and rolled it over to the front porch. Got it onto the appliance hand truck and secured it with two ratchet straps. Got it up the two steps on the porch, turned 90 degrees and one more up into the house.

Put it back onto the dolly because at 750 lbs, it was sketchy as shit. Rolled it across the house to it's new home. Thank God we have a ranch.

It was also 24 years ago, before I was old and fat. I would never attempt that today.
    Accuse your enemy of what you are doing as you are doing it to create confusion -Karl Marx

Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    Here's how I did mine. I got it off the back of the delivery truck into the bed of my pickup. Slid it off the tailgate onto a dolly. Took the cardboard off it and rolled it over to the front porch. Got it onto the appliance hand truck and secured it with two ratchet straps. Got it up the two steps on the porch, turned 90 degrees and one more up into the house.

Put it back onto the dolly because at 750 lbs, it was sketchy as shit. Rolled it across the house to it's new home. Thank God we have a ranch.

It was also 24 years ago, before I was old and fat. I would never attempt that today.
    Timing is everything

(Pike County)

Did something similar when I got mine - an "18 long gun" size, about 400 or so pounds.

Bought it from a gentleman who was moving south - something about getting tired of freezing all winter. Anyway, used a hand truck with a strap to get it out of his basement - the hardest part of the job - with me pulling on top and he and his wife pushing from underneath.

Rolled it around to my little S10 pickup, where I tipped it over onto its back and slid it into the bed. Had some old blankets to make sliding it easy, and pushed the safe ALL THE WAY FORWARD (so it wasn't a battering ram if I had to hit the brakes hard). Drove home without incident.

Once home, I backed the pickup halfway into the garage, slid the safe out, and gingerly tipped it over onto a movers dolly. Then rolled it up the ramp and into the house, gingerly tipped it over and got the dolly out, then slowly walked/slid it into its current location.

Not 'easy', but not a difficult job.

(Allegheny County)

Before I relocated to Pittsburgh from a LONG way away, I had a nice Browning safe I got from one of those big box stores. I didn't want to the hassle of trying to get it to PA, so I sold it for a few hundred dollars less than I paid for it (around $1000).

While I was still in my former location and wife was in PA (she moved down several months before I did), I found on Craigslist someone with a Remington (made by Liberty) safe. It seemed to be about the same as my browning, so I bought it for about what I sold my Browning for - and its included delivery to the garage where my wife was staying.

Once I arrived in PA, I determined that it was a MUCH better safe than what was advertised and should have sold for more like 3x what I paid for it (and its was MUCH better than my Browning). Total score!! I had the combo changed and keys made for the day lock for around $100 or something.

When we moved from where my wife was staying to the house we bought, I had to move this sucker! Here are some pictures from that day (:

Moved the safe in the yellow trailer you see there.

Safe needs to go up the ramp and into the basement.

These next photos show the rigging to do that.

(Allegheny County)

safe-move-3.jpg

Finally, it's in the basement, awaiting final positioning.

^^^Seems like a lot of effort. Could have gone to Home Depot and hired a crew of illegals to carry it in. Then again, they may have come back later and robbed you!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Excommunicated View Post
    ^^^Seems like a lot of effort. Could have gone to Home Depot and hired a crew of illegals to carry it in.
    Anyone knowingly hiring an "illegal" should be executed, along with the illegal. All of their belongings should be sold at auction, with the proceeds going to the U.S. Treasury.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123