Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default How to sell a pistol in PA

What is the legal procedure to sell a pistol (legally owned) in PA? Is there a website where I can post an advertisement promoting the pistol?

(Chester County)

Default Re: How to sell a pistol in PA

You might look at the pafoa.org classified ads. Read the "sticky" threads on the top of the Firearms section and they will walk you through what is necessary to legally sell a firearm on pafoa.org and in PA. Good luck.

(Berks County)

For a local sale: Call some local FFL's to check their rates for private transfers. They can range from $15-$50.

Meet prospective buyer at FFL. Collect his payment. Fill out paperwork and he takes it home. (Assuming he's not a prohibited person that fails a background check.)

Classifieds here is a good place to start.

(Bucks County)

And if you're going to use the classified section here at poofa, be sure to price it at double what you could get the same gun for new; at full retail.
    And don't be shy with the wording, for example...

Always start your heading with a back woods, homey phrase like "Looking to sell" cause phrasing like that lets folks know you have an excellent education right off the bat. And of course throw in "and don't low ball me, I know what I got".

Managing to throw in an "I seen it" it or two should have potential buyers flocking to your ad,
    Last edited by cdi; May 23rd, 2024 at 10:04 PM.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    And if you're going to use the classified section here at poofa, be sure to price it at double what you could but the same gun for new; at full retail.

Always start your heading with a back woods, homey phrase like "Looking to sell" cause phrasing like that lets folks know you have an excellent education right off the bat. And of course throw in "and don't low ball me, I know what I got".
    Aren't all sales on PAFOA required to come with some VHS exercise tapes and a Thighmaster thrown in for free?

(Bucks County)

Yes. And don't forget hammers by the pound and back issues of Soldier of Fortune magazine.
    Crusader's local #556 South Central Asia chapter

(Northampton County)

And don't be shy to add a bucket with the deal they've become a Hot commodity lately 🤗

Quote Originally Posted by scottj View Post
    What is the legal procedure to sell a pistol (legally owned) in PA? Is there a website where I can post an advertisement promoting the pistol?
    1. Pistols must go through an ffl. That is an added charge. Most ads I have seen have the buyer pay the fee on top of the price of the pistol. Set up a time to meet at the FFL. If it is a basement ffl definitely call ahead to set up a time to meet. If it is a shop it is not a bad idea to call ahead although a lot of shops are fine with walk ins. The price that FFl*s charge varies, so it may be worth looking around. There are tons of ffl finders online if you are not sure where to find some.

2. As has been stated, the classifieds on Pafoa are a good place to post an advertisement promoting the pistol. Rules state to include a price. My opinion*. Include pictures. Use Postimage.org to host if needed. Make sure to state the general area where you are willing to travel to make a deal with ffl*s in the area.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by cdi View Post
    And if you're going to use the classified section here at poofa, be sure to price it at double what you could get the same gun for new; at full retail.

Managing to throw in an "I seen it" it or two should have potential buyers flocking to your ad,
    lol. You can also state that your *Price is FIRM* (in bold letters if necessary) and then continually lower your price from week to week.

Also, if you don't state the geographic location, this will help eliminate that irresponsible, younger generation which only see the mobile version of the forum on their smartphones. That way they have to go click on your profile to see your location for a FTF sale.

Since PA is such a relatively small state, I guess it doesn't matter too much.

(Berks County)

Some of you are too funny!

Anyone interested in a 40 gallon trash bag of 12 gage hulls?

Further if you get no initial interest in your classified posting, just keep bumping it up every week for at least 2 years.