Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Moving to PA, must have PA DL to apply for LTCF?

Quote Originally Posted by June4th View Post
    I think Free's method works best for me while I'm influx. The move is stretching over a period of time, so I'm going to apply for a non-resident LTCF first (I do have a Mass license)

@45Doll, @OwnTheRide, yes, I am aware there are 50 shades of 'shall issue'. Look, Montgomery county sheriff's office proudly declares on their website that 'We do not issue non-resident permits' and it's highlighted in yellow so you can't miss it:

https://www.montgomerycountypa.gov/401/Gun-Permits

Attachment 175293
    Sheesh. Gotta love it when your sheriff proudly declares that he is intentionally breaking the law. That's like one of us driving around with a big vinyl sticker on our back window saying "I possess drugs in this vehicle." But we both know how that would turn out.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by June4th View Post
    I think Free's method works best for me while I'm influx.
    FWIW, they were nothing but polite and professional and I walked out with the LTCF shortly after my arrival. That was 2013. I don't know what the current experience is like.

FEMA Region III - State College, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    FWIW, they were nothing but polite and professional and I walked out with the LTCF shortly after my arrival. That was 2013. I don't know what the current experience is like.
    The experience is still the same, as recently as at 1:30pm today. It's the same as my experience renewing my LTCF back in 2014 and then 2019: in and out in under 5 minutes, with a pre-filled application form. The sheriff might have changed since you got yours (Danny Nau retired quite a few years ago) but his successor, Sheriff Sampsel, seems to be running the LTCF issuance the same way; Centre County still issues to non-resident.

https://www.centrecountypa.gov/405/L...Carry-Firearms

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fortytwo View Post
    The experience is still the same, as recently as at 1:30pm today. It's the same as my experience renewing my LTCF back in 2014 and then 2019: in and out in under 5 minutes, with a pre-filled application form. The sheriff might have changed since you got yours (Danny Nau retired quite a few years ago) but his successor, Sheriff Sampsel, seems to be running the LTCF issuance the same way; Centre County still issues to non-resident.

https://www.centrecountypa.gov/405/L...Carry-Firearms
    Good to know. I have been hearing this about the Centre county Sheriff for almost 20 years.
    It's nice to hear things have not changed for the worse.

We sometimes hear that a new
    county Sheriff has taken the position and has changed the way LTCF apps are handled,
    and changed to a less-than-friendly position on the 2A.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Update: I read a few related threads and concluded that Delaware county was the closest friendly county for non-resident licensing. I called and left a voicemail and got a very courteous call back the next day, and was informed that I needed two trips for in-person application and pickup. So I drove 20 miles to the office and filled an application, along with my Massachusetts DL and LTC. The whole process took less than 20 minutes and the clerk was very friendly and professional. She informed me that I should be notified in about two weeks for pickup.

Thanks everyone for your input and help.

After you get moved in and obtain a PA Driver's License, contact them about an address change. A quick visit with your new ID should allow them to make the correction and print you a new license on the spot. That's how it works in Erie County at least.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by ar15jules View Post
    After you get moved in and obtain a PA Driver's License, contact them about an address change. A quick visit with your new ID should allow them to make the correction and print you a new license on the spot. That's how it works in Erie County at least.
    Yes, it also allows them to send out a renewal reminder by postal mail 3 months before yout
    current License expires. All are required to do this, I have heard some don't, but maybe worth
    it for this reason as well. You should also receive an application form in the same envelope.

Also, and this is probably not going to be the popular topic, but if the Sheriff or any other Law
    Enforcement Agency (LEA) moves to revoke the LTCF they now have a correct address to send
    a notice to. A nasty-gram in the US Mail is mostly better than a ram and a SWAT stack at your
    front door. Mostly.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Yes, it also allows them to send out a renewal reminder by postal mail 3 months before yout
    current License expires. All are required to do this, I have heard some don't, but maybe worth
    it for this reason as well. You should also receive an application form in the same envelope.

Also, and this is probably not going to be the popular topic, but if the Sheriff or any other Law
    Enforcement Agency (LEA) moves to revoke the LTCF they now have a correct address to send
    a notice to. A nasty-gram in the US Mail is mostly better than a ram and a SWAT stack at your
    front door. Mostly.
    The SWAT Team isn't the issue. Individuals who get revoked are required to be notified by both standard mail and certified mail. If both get returned to the Sheriff's Office undeliverable, they are not under any further obligation to attempt to make notification regarding the revocation. The problem then comes if the individual is stopped while carrying. The arrest for carrying without a license is USUALLY more severe than the original "charge" or situation that lead to the revocation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12