Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Legality of shipping preban Glock magazines from PA to MA?

Quote Originally Posted by tlnzz1 View Post
    And how is the date of manufacture determined on a products that have never been marked, (dated), as to when they were manufactured? Just curious.
    Magazines in question are easily identified as being preban and there*s a couple states that still have the original AWB in place, anything manufactured prior to sept 1994 is still legal to buy sell and trade in those states. Just get the required copy of LTC-A and you*ll be covered.

image url
    Today was a good day!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    Wait - magazines have to be transferred at an FFL?
    No. Reading comp owns me this morning and I should have read the OP more
    carefully.
    I THOUGHT the OP was selling a Glock but was asking about the legalities of
    the magazines as well.

So yeah, buyer can fetch the magazines. Sorry for adding confusion to the thread.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    No. Reading comp owns me this morning and I should have read the OP more
    carefully.
    I THOUGHT the OP was selling a Glock but was asking about the legalities of
    the magazines as well.

So yeah, buyer can fetch the magazines. Sorry for adding confusion to the thread.
    It's all good (;

(Montgomery County)

Appreciate all the replies.

And for those who were confused, or raised very valid questions - Yep, none of it really makes any sense at all. It seems that MA law in particular is purposely written to be simultaneously both prohibitive and vague.

I am 100% certain that the mag in question is pre-ban. But how well do MA LEO understand the minute differences between the mag generations, such as "below the shoulder 9mm font," "metal dimples," "square notch vs. U-notch," "9mm| followers," "3206 marked baseplates," or any of the other nuances that delineate a pre-ban mag from a post-ban one? I cannot imagine living in such a state.

Again, thanks all!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Appreciate all the replies.

And for those who were confused, or raised very valid questions - Yep, none of it really makes any sense at all. It seems that MA law in particular is purposely written to be simultaneously both prohibitive and vague.

I am 100% certain that the mag in question is pre-ban. But how well do MA LEO understand the minute differences between the mag generations, such as "below the shoulder 9mm font," "metal dimples," "square notch vs. U-notch," "9mm| followers," "3206 marked baseplates," or any of the other nuances that delineate a pre-ban mag from a post-ban one? I cannot imagine living in such a state.

Again, thanks all!
    Good question when they can't comprehend what "Shall not be infringed" and "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States" means
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    Good question when they can't comprehend what "Shall not be infringed" and "Support and defend the Constitution of the United States" means
    You confuse comprehension with compliance.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    I am having a tough time finding a clear-cut answer to this question.

Assume the magazine(s) in question are clearly pre-ban, FML, square notch, with correct caliber font placement and cutout dots above the '14' and '15' round counters. No 'Restricted' language on the back of the tube... All the telltale indicators of pre-94 mags.

Is it correct that a MA resident can legally purchase from a PA seller, and that they just need to show a copy of their "LTCF-A" (whatever that is), to prove that that are allowed to own these grandfathered mags in MA?

What risks would the seller be assuming in this case? Is it too risky and vague to even consider?
    The 1994 federal ban expired in 2004. So "pre-ban", "LEO only" and similar means absofuckalutely nothing in PA because PA doesn't restrict magazine capacity.

The only time that would matter no is to states that have their own ban, and the relative dates would be of the states' respective laws.

However, residents of states that have magazine capacity laws need to abide by their state laws. If they buy a "hicap mag" out of state, the magazine has to stay out of their respective state.

Absolutely DO NOT ship a "hicap magazine" to a state that has a capacity limit. And MA is one of them.

Just ignore any request to sell to anything to anyone in NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, IL, CA, WA, possibly OR, PR, VI, possibly VT, and DC.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    The 1994 federal ban expired in 2004. So "pre-ban", "LEO only" and similar means absofuckalutely nothing in PA because PA doesn't restrict magazine capacity.

The only time that would matter no is to states that have their own ban, and the relative dates would be of the states' respective laws.

However, residents of states that have magazine capacity laws need to abide by their state laws. If they buy a "hicap mag" out of state, the magazine has to stay out of their respective state.

Absolutely DO NOT ship a "hicap magazine" to a state that has a capacity limit. And MA is one of them.

Just ignore any request to sell to anything to anyone in NY, NJ, MD, CT, RI, MA, IL, CA, WA, possibly OR, PR, VI, possibly VT, and DC.
    Yeah, I think I've concluded that it's not worth the risk. Technically, I do think it would be legal if the MA resident verified their LTC-A... I see GunBroker sellers doing this.

However I'm not willing to risk a charge over an act of goodwill ("act of goodwill" referring to selling a mag for, say, $50, instead of the $200+ that gougers routinely seem to charge for prebans to MA residents)

Again, I appreciate all the replies to my thought experiment. Happy Father's Day to all.

(Bucks County)

Suicidal coward fired 30 rounds at gathered people near Detroit, reportedly reloading 3 times. Sounds like limiting mag capacity is ineffective.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12