Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default AR waaaay off to the right

went to sight in my AR today and it was shooting way off to the right. i have my windage adjusted all the way over to compensate. i was talking to a guy at the range and he suggested taking it to a gunsmith. what do you guys think. anyone ever have this happen?

and does anyone know of a good gunsmith in the pottstown area?

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: AR waaaay off to the right

Had a similar problem with a new Bushmaster, it seems the rear sight was drilled non centered. Bushmaster replaced no questions asked.

Did the gun always shoot that way?

New or used?

Both rear apetures (small and large)?

Any visible signs of impact?
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

Who made your AR15? You shouldn't need a gunsmith for an AR windage issue. As Holleta stated, it might be your rear sights. If it's one of the big companies, you should be able to contact them and have them replace the rear sights.

If you really need a smith in the Pottstown area, you could try Michael Hane. I talked to the guy and he doesn't have a very outgoing personality at all. I hear he does decent work.

http://www.mhgunsmithing.com/

(Chester County)

its an olympic arms. i bought it new and the guy did tell me it was gaurenteed for life. ill give him a call in the morning.
    thanks

Oly Arms barrels are suppose to be really accurate. Their AR15 rifles have mixed reviews...I'm sure they will take care of you...just remember they are in WA State so 3 hours behind us.

(Monroe County)

You could have one of a few diff. problems. A couple years ago I saw quite a few Bushmasters that the front sight was canted slightly because somebody using the torque wrench got carried away on the the barrel nut. It canted the front sight to the left.

If you were a little closer I'd check it for you. I have the front sight alignment tools and if it is the front sight/barrel torque it is a quick fix. t only takes about 5 minutes to tear down and retorque the barrel nut.

The alignment tools will tell you if it's a rear sight problem also.

Rich W.

(Chester County)

well after looking around Oly arms website i decided to email mail them. well see what they say. im kind of dissapointed. spending so much on a gun and having it not work right.

(Chester County)

OA emailed me back and told me it was more then likely the front sight that was. im shipping them the upper tomorrow. is there anything i have to do to ship it UPS? (declare its a part of a weapon or something?)

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by BFit70 View Post
    OA emailed me back and told me it was more then likely the front sight that was. im shipping them the upper tomorrow. is there anything i have to do to ship it UPS? (declare its a part of a weapon or something?)
    No its not a firearm.

You could have one of a few diff. problems. A couple years ago I saw quite a few Bushmasters that the front sight was canted slightly because somebody using the torque wrench got carried away on the the barrel nut. It canted the front sight to the left.
    Explain

Barrel has a pin and the receiver has a cut for the pin. Slide in then put the barrel nut over it and torque wrench it on?
    I've heard what you said a couple times, but never understood how it would happen.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaII5 View Post

Explain

Barrel has a pin and the receiver has a cut for the pin. Slide in then put the barrel nut over it and torque wrench it on?
    I've heard what you said a couple times, but never understood how it would happen.

DeltaII5,
    It's a steel pin in the slot of an aluminum receiver. If you over torque the barrel nut, you actually force the steel pin into the receiver. It may only be a few thousanth's of an inch but if you look at the barrel and front sight assembly, if you twist the barrel a few thousanth's the site will cant more than double that amount. Now if the sight is off even a 1/16 of an inch to the left, that converts impact to inch's to the right at 50yrds. If you overtorque the barrel enough to cant the front sight 1/16 of an inch, you will be way off target at 100yrds. Armalite has started using white grease on the barrel extension to help prevent the barrel nut from grabbing the barrel extension and torqueing it to the left. I was always afraid that grease could possably give you a false torque reading so I like to soak the bbl nut and extension with Eezox before I torque them down. Now in reality you have quite a good spread on spec.'s with 35 to 80 ft lbs. but safe is better than sorry. If you use grease you should run a little higher torque and then your right back where you started with the possability of canting the fron sight.

I hope that helps explain it.

Rich W.
    Last edited by Warners Surplus; May 31st, 2007 at 04:46 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast