Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default Kayaking and Carry?

this is the first summer in 20 years that im carrying a weapon. we do alot of kayaking in local waters, and just need to know some hints as far as storage goes. we are planning a several day trip down the susquehanna

(Berks County)

Default Re: Kayaking and Carry?

I've never kayaked. But I would be nervous as hell having my gun with me on one. . don't they flip a lot?

(Jefferson County)

I've only been out on my new yak once a weekend ago, and I carried. I cant offer much for tips, but I carried openly in a holster on my strong side.

Flipping is always a possibility. Always wear a PFD, that extra 2-3 lbs of steel and lead helps make you like an anchor.

(Luzerne County)

I kayak a good bit. Depending on the type of kayaking you are doing, the possibility of flipping can be greatly reduced. Most of my stuff is flatwater, lakes, lazy rivers, etc. I seldom get into a condition where I might get wet.

This year I am carrying whilst kayaking, (that is why some guns are made of plastic right?), my PFD has a pocket perfect for this purpose.

Look me up for a trip down the Susqee, I'd love to join you.

(Dauphin County)

whitewater kayaking you can flip at any second. we do the normal slow paddle down the local creeks and sometimes a lake. everyone is carrying a knife in case of getting tangled with ropes or branches. just getting back into the habit of carrying and dont want to leave it behind

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
    Look me up for a trip down the Susqee, I'd love to join you.
    will do, we have 6 or 7 that go but more the merrier. i have all the river trail maps showing camping and stores. we usually camp on a island to eliminate the hassle of crackheads.

(Adams County)

I would think a revolver would be your best bet, if you do tip you'll want to get it as dry as possible and I think the revolver would be easiest to do that with. No worries about the magazine springs rusting and all that, plus they have a lot less moving parts and nooks & crannies.

Would the ammo be affected by water? I don't even know how you'd tell without trying it.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Cambria County)

I too have been working on this dilemma. I think I have a solution that covers all the problems that I see arising while paddling and carrying. I think your best bet would be what is called an Otter Box.

It is waterproof, submersible, and floats. Some versions are padded inside and I would recommend them over the none padded versions. They come in all sizes so you can find one to fit any size pistol.

Since you're on the water, I don't think you will find a need to have to draw your weapon quickly. So, wearing it shouldn't be necessary. This box can lay on the floor of the kayak between your legs, and be accessed without anyone on shore seeing what your doing inside the kayak, if you would need it.

This one here would probably do nicely. You could tie it to the kayak so if you do tip, you don't have to worry about it floating away. It is easy to open, just flip two levers. I carry my digital camera in one all the time. It has floated down river many a time, till I picked it up again later. (I recommend a bright colored one for this reason) You could carry your pistol and an extra magazine in one of these with no problems.

http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.a...15&deptid=1862
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Wayne County)

I would consider keeping it in one of those roll-top, PVC fanny packs with the belt clipped through the bungees on the deck forward of the cockpit.

Gives you easy access.

Holds it secure in the event of tipping.

Keeps it moderately dry.

Provides an easy way to carry on shore since you're probably not going to be dressed in a manner for carrying a holster.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Franklin County)

Ensure your sidearm won't slip no matter how rough the conditions are. A man purse or CCW bag, attached to you but quickly detachable, is a great option, or a nice Level III retention system.
    As for getting it wet... well, grease the inside and oil it just before you leave. Bring a cleaning kit, if it gets wet, disassemble as much as you can, towel then air dry, then relube. If it gets wet a lot, when you get home, use compressed air to dry it out, or bake it at about 150 for an hour or two, then oil/lube.

Have fun 'yakkin'!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast