Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default $1k for my first 2 guns

Hello; I'm new to the forum and new to firearms.

I've shot .410, 12 gauge, 9mm, .357, and .45 a couple of times each, and that's about it for my experience.

I'd like to end up with a handgun for concealed carry/personal defense, a shotgun for hunting/home defense/zombie attack, and a rifle for deer hunting. My budget is pretty much unlimited, as I would like to buy quality. I was hoping to get maybe the handgun and shotgun plus some ammunition + whatever accessories I'd need for around 1000-1200. Don't know much about prices, though, so maybe that's unrealistic.

I've done a little research (thanks to all of you) here and elsewhere, and I'm thinking maybe a Taurus 650 .357/.38 for the handgun. My two concerns with this revolver are first, that I've heard some people having trouble with them right out of the box before having to send them back for refurbishing, and since I'm inexperienced I wouldn't know what to look for. Second, I have very large hands (~10 in) and am wondering if that's going to make this little gun hard to shoot. Further, I've heard the recoil is a bitch for a noob, but I figure if I fire it enough I'll get used to it, right? If you've owned this gun, what do you think of it? Would you recommend it? Have you had trouble with reliability? Is it too small?

For the shotgun, I'm thinking a Remington 870 TAC. Does a tactical shotgun work for hunting, as well, in a pinch? I haven't heard of any trouble with this shotgun; what do you think of it? Should I get a Saiga-12 instead for its pure evil looks?

Any suggestions/recommendations are appreciated. If I've picked some bad choices please let me know before I go out and drop money on them

If you were in my spot (not owning any guns at all and being inexperienced) what would you buy for $1000?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: $1k for my first 2 guns

handgun...
    as far as recoil.. start with a .22, then move your way up. Its too easy to start with a big caliber, and develop flinches and other things that will terribly mess up your accuracy in the long run. I've seen his happen too many times, and its the reason why a bunch of my friends can't even hit the backstop with their handguns. (one started off the bat with a .45, another one with a .357mag, and another dumbass with a .50de)

shotgun...

for home defense? You may want to rethink that.. have you ever shot a shotgun in the middle of the night, without ear protection?? You'll be both deafened and blinded after your first shot.

For a $1000?

I'd buy a high quality ak, and spend the rest in ammo. Or I'd look for a 9mm Glock or XD, and drop the rest in ammo.
    Last edited by LorDiego01; March 24th, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

My suggestion would be go to the Gun show in Greensburg this week end , Walk around and get a feel for the Guns you are looking for. The tactical shot gun would not be a good choice for hunting. The 870 is a great gun. And you could get a short barrel for home defense for the standard mod, you have two real problems. Buying new your $1000, budget would be shot on two guns. If you can find them. Ammo is hit or miss now. Their seems to be plenty shot shells, and high power rifle with the exception of 308. But most handgun stuff is gone

(Allegheny County)

I see you live near PGH

come join us for the next shoot
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-26-a.html

that way you can handle and try out some different guns before you spend any money.

(Allegheny County)

Tactical shotguns do not always work well for hunting due to mag limits where a plug must be inserted. Trust me that there is no such thing as a do it all gun, and just understand guns are like crack, once you buy one you will get another. Hunting is also another very expensive addiction not just because of the guns or ammo, but because of the camo, scents, calls, time consumed scouting etc. You could always find a pistol for around 5 bills and still have enough to get a rem. 870 or mossy 500 in time for spring gobbler. Just get removable chokes if you can for different shotgun seasons.

(York County)

Be prepared to check tactical guns for choke acceptability. My moss 500 pursuader doesn't accept chokes so no hunting. I did however buy a spare standard mag tube and hunting barrel and it only takes a few mins to change out for hunting.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I see you live near PGH

come join us for the next shoot
    http://forum.pafoa.org/shoots-range-...hoot-26-a.html

that way you can handle and try out some different guns before you spend any money.
    I was going to say find a place that rents. This way you can try a bunch of stuff before buying it. But Shawns idea works also.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Thank you, everyone, for the ideas.

hornady and shawn,
    I think I'll take you up for the gunshow and group shoot ideas. Maybe that'll give me more of a feel for what I'm looking at. As far as the budget is concerned, I have a surplus, so over enough time I can get whatever I decide on.

np1724 and jtsgsxr6,
    i think i'll take your word for it that buying guns is addicting I don't mean to get too far into hunting, just shoot extra deer around the property! I'll be sure to check for a removable choke.

LorDiego,
    Hopefully shooting at a group shoot will give me a refresher on the calibers, but I do remember last time I shot thinking that the .45 was too much and the .357 was about perfect. Of course the amount of recoil will vary with the model, though, I suppose. I've never had the need to fire a shotgun in a dark room, though I have a hard time believing that firing an AK in a dark room would be less defeaning I will definitely consider the Glock 9mm; maybe I'll have to try one out at some point!

So right now I'm thinking I'll start with a 870 with removable choke, and maybe I'll keep thinking on the handgun.

Thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Hmm... Let's try this:

Used S&W Model 10 (police trade in?) = $300. I've actually seen them for $200-$250, but you should be able to find one for $300. If not, you can get a brand new Taurus revolver for around $300. I've owned 8 or 9 Taurus' over the years, all have worked well.

Mossberg 500 shotgun. You can get 'em on sale at Dicks for around $250, but we'll call that $300 also.

You can get a Stevens Model 200 for under $350.

You still need a scope for the rifle though... another couple hundred dollars

Another way to go:
    Same used S&W Model 10= $300
    H&R single shot shotgun = $200
    H&R single shot rifle = $300

That leaves plenty of money to get scope and some ammo, holster, etc. It's a basic setup, but the guns are time tested and proven, all are rugged, and all get the jobs done. They would be an excellent start. You'd have a good and very usable starter collection.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Actually, heck with it.

Get a used S&W or Ruger revolver, $300-$400, and a new Mossberg 500 for $250 or $300. This combo will meet ALL your self defense and large and small game hunting needs, and will leave you plenty of money to get some training classes and practice ammo.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast