Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so late?

(Clinton County)

Default Why so late?

I have lived in N.C., VA and TN in these states the firearm deer season usually comes in in late October or the 1st week in November, why does it come in so late in northern states when the rut is earlier up here and the weather is worse in December?. Also their season is usually about 2 months long so the woods aren't so crowded cause every one is trying to go hunting at the same time.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Why so late?

They save the rut for more primitive types of hunting i.e. less bucks get killed. Firearms seasons are shorter and later to allow more deer to make it through the season.

(Dauphin County)

Pa is the worst for number of days able to hunt.
    Check Delaware's hunting availability.

Muzzleloader

Oct. 6 - Oct. 14, 2006
    Jan. 22, - Jan. 27, 2007

Handgun Season

January 6 - 13, 2007

Shotgun
    Nov. 10 - Nov. 18 2006
    Jan. 13- Jan. 20, 2007

October Antlerless Season
    Shotgun & Muzzleloader
    Oct. 16,20,21,23,27,28 & 30, 2006

December Antlerless Season

Shotgun & Muzzleloader
    Dec. 9 - Dec. 16, 2006

forget the time when it occurs, you PA hunters are getting screwed when it comes to number of days able to hunt in general.

(Mercer County)

I like the idea that the rifle is late in year; that it easy for me to hunt the first week of buck in either Michigan, WVA, or NY

oracle
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Clinton County)

In other words the Pa Game Comm is basicly anti-hunting. Most guys can't afford or don't have the time to go to other states for deer hunting.
    In the other states I mentioned hunting is more casual than here, if you want to go hunting with a buddy and he has to work this week end you just go sometime later cause you have 2 months to do it.

(Erie County)

One might think that our late season for 15 days is bad but I love it. For one thing there is often snow on the ground for our rifle season which means you generally see alot more deer because you can see farther into the woods. Snow definately makes the drag easier as well.

The only true comparison would be various States vs their hunter to harvested deer ratios.
    "When the winds of change blow hard enough, the most trivial of things can become deadly projectiles." - Unknown.

(Perry County)

You forget too the sheer volume of hunters in this state. I'm guessing that the short seasons are a herd management strategy. I'm willing to bet there would be a HUGE increase in game taken if the firearms season was a month long.

The game comission isn't anti hunting. Montell do you honestly believe that since you can't afford to go out of state and hunt, that you're entitled to a longer PA season? You hunt during the time you have.

Some people, no one in particular, get upset because they can't afford to take a day off work, so they only get the two Saturdays, and sometimes that's even a stretch. Fact of the matter is those situations are personal situations. Anyone who thinks that everything should change to accomodate their situation is arrogant and diluted. I'm sorry you're going through a rough time, but that's something you have to deal with. If the paycheck from work is more important than getting into the woods to hunt, then you don't hunt. Don't expect the season to change because you feel you're entitled to 5 days of hunting.

(Bucks County)

I was expecting to have a week plus to hunt this year as I hit my third week of vacation. Then I fall at the cabin late June and end up w/ a Tib/Fib fracture, so I end up w/ three days, plus Saturdays for rifle. I used up a good two weeks vacation to have full income the first month of my last year of college payments before going on disability.

Instead of killing the last vacation days after Christmas, this year's flintlock has to wait till Jan first! I'm planing on going up that morning thru that Saturday/

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Montell C. Williams View Post
    I have lived in N.C., VA and TN in these states the firearm deer season usually comes in in late October or the 1st week in November, why does it come in so late in northern states when the rut is earlier up here and the weather is worse in December?. Also their season is usually about 2 months long so the woods aren't so crowded cause every one is trying to go hunting at the same time.
    Welcome to Pennsylvania, the land of no sense, corrupt government and sheep that think all is right.

these people will defend state inspections on vehicles, even though all it is, is $$$ for the CommonWEALTH.

These people will re-elect the same people to office because they are so set in their ways (J. Murtha).

they will complain about the deer eating their flowers and wrecking their cars, but complain even more if a hunt is organized.

These people will bitch about the Canadian Geese droppings all over the local park, but cry when something is done to get rid of them.

and don't get me started on the lack of driving abilities......

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

(Potter County)

I Like it from landowner perpective . asking who they are and why they didnt knock on my door or call for permission Like the signs say . But I must say the last couple of years it has not been to bad .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast