Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New rare bird found: .41 magnum.

Just found this somewhat rare bird: M657 Performance Center snub chambered in .41 magnum. I'm a big fan of the .41 magnum cartridge. Some revolver experts think the 41 mag is about the reasonable limit of the S&W N frame.

Came with box and papers, in excellent condition. I've been looking for several years before I even SAW one for sale. Very glad with this one. Fit and finish on this example is VERY GOOD. Yoke to frame fit, cylinder lock up, endshake, and timing are just as good as the 'older' pinned and recessed models I've owned. The trigger is very smooth.

Weight is 39 ounces; roughly the same as a 1911. Since it has a shorter barrel, balance is not too muzzle heavy.

Anyone have one of these in .41? I've seen them in .44 and in .357x8, but not many at all in .41 mag. This one will definitley be a carry gun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: New rare bird found: .41 magnum.

I love the .41 magnum eventhough I can't afford to feed mine. That's a good looking pistol!
    Go head, skin it. Skin that smoke wagon and see what happens.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
    Just found this somewhat rare bird: M657 Performance Center snub chambered in .41 magnum. I'm a big fan of the .41 magnum cartridge. Some revolver experts think the 41 mag is about the reasonable limit of the S&W N frame.

Came with box and papers, in excellent condition. I've been looking for several years before I even SAW one for sale. Very glad with this one. Fit and finish on this example is VERY GOOD. Yoke to frame fit, cylinder lock up, endshake, and timing are just as good as the 'older' pinned and recessed models I've owned. The trigger is very smooth.

Weight is 39 ounces; roughly the same as a 1911. Since it has a shorter barrel, balance is not too muzzle heavy.

Anyone have one of these in .41? I've seen them in .44 and in .357x8, but not many at all in .41 mag. This one will definitley be a carry gun.
    I've never seen one in .41. That's a very cool little carry gun. Congrats.

(Montgomery County)

That is a tank! Congrats.

Where'd ya pick that up?

Saw a few but didn't like the lock hole or flat side barrel. But I'm looking more for one of the earlier 3in 657's.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

Thanks everyone.

This was an online auction find. It seems so uncommon that I haven't seen this model in 41 mag at all.

I actually like the slab side barrel. The unfluted cylinder is a nice touch as well. I prefer that the lock weren't there, but my wish for a snub S&W in .41 mag outweighed my dislike of the lock.

The lock can be replaced with the Plug. For a hard kicking self-defense handgun, I would give the Plug serious consideration.

Nice find, by the way. I like the grips. The caliber is a given.

Rick

Beautiful gun. The slab side barrel and unfluted cylinder are a nice contrast.

(Lancaster County)

Wow, that is sweet. I have a 657 in the Mountain Gun configuration which is a limited production also. I've thought of sending it to the S&W performance center for the Matte finish as yours, but wary of what it may do to its originality. I carry it often when clothing permits. the caliber is a perfect for reloading and defense, the knockdown of the .44 and the shootability of the .357. it is the red headed stepchild of the magnum cartridges ( till the .327 came out LOL) and seriously under rated
    Yours is the like finding the golden fleece of 41's, I'm always on the lookout for a Taurus 415...none to be found anywhere

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRecon View Post
    Wow, that is sweet. I have a 657 in the Mountain Gun configuration which is a limited production also. I've thought of sending it to the S&W performance center for the Matte finish as yours, but wary of what it may do to its originality. I carry it often when clothing permits. the caliber is a perfect for reloading and defense, the knockdown of the .44 and the shootability of the .357. it is the red headed stepchild of the magnum cartridges ( till the .327 came out LOL) and seriously under rated
    Yours is the like finding the golden fleece of 41's, I'm always on the lookout for a Taurus 415...none to be found anywhere
    Thanks. I knew this one was a rare one.
    The Mountain gun .41's aren't so common either, and I do like the looks of the tapered barrel. I'm sure the Mountain Gun carries well. The reason I like the .41 mag is for the same reason you state. I like that it has a big bullet, but doesn't recoil quite as bad as the .44 mag, but has a heavier and wider slug than .357.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast