Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new to this

(Erie County)

Default new to this

i really only have a few questions. i read wikipedias page and i have a book on the way so i get the jist of it.

but anyways do you guys crimp your 45 rounds or does the case hold it well enough?
    also what book do you guys recommend for loading data?

my plan is to buy the lee deluxe turret press kit, 45 dies, and a primer feeder. that should get me started. am i missing anything? anyway my reason for all this is because i bough the house i grew up in and there is a perfect spot for a 25yrd pistol range. i like to shoot but being Navy and married i really don't get time to go to the range a lot. now the range is going to be my back yard that shouldn't be an issue so instead of 200-300 rounds every month or two its probably gonna be a weekly thing.

Hammer

(York County)

Default Re: new to this

I am very new to this also...
    I reload 45acp and 9mm I used the lee 4 die kits. I taper crimp both the 9mm and the 45acp.
    You use the roll crimp for relover rounds.

The 4 die lee die is not needed becuase the bullet seating die can also be used to crimp the bullet.

A lot of crimp is not needed

You Navy or xNavy. After a time we are never X. I did 20.

You don't want to put a roll crimp on a .45. The dies will put a light taper crimp on it. You will know when the crimp is right because the shell will feed right. With a to light crimp the action will not lock up. A smooth taper crimp will lock up the action. Have fun and be safe.

(Cumberland County)

Books... Get as many as you can.

If you are totally new to reloading, Lyman #48 is an GREAT reference. It contains step-by-step instructions - not just the do this, do that - but why you are doing these things. This one should run you about $25 w/ taxes or shipping.

Midway has load books that are specific to individual calibers. They are a compiled with the load data from different powder and bullet manufacturers. They are about $5-$7 each.

+1 on the Lee 4 die sets for pistol. I use the 9mm set. The ammo that comes out at the end looks like factory ammo and runs with no problems.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Centre County)

You don't roll crimp any semi auto rounds as they headspace on the mouth of the case. A roll crimp will mess that up. Use a taper crimp. If your die set didn't come with a taper crimp die then buy a seperate taper crimp die and do that step last after you have correctly seated the bullet.

That said, if you are shootong 45acp in a revolver with moon clips then either a taper or roll crimp will be fine as the moon clips provide the required spacing.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

If you haven't already purchased the Deluxe Lee Turret kit, I would make one recommendation. Get the Lee Classic Turret-it is made of cast iron and is much better built than the regular Lee 4-hole turret. If you can find a kit with it that is the way to go.
    The_Vigilante
    "A man can never own enough guns."

(Erie County)

well that really didn't answer my question, so let me rephrase it. does anyone who doesn't use a seperate die for crimping have problems with their reloaded 45 acp? are there going to be issues with the magazine and loading/chambering if i don't use a fourth die for crimping? i picked up the difference between roll and taper crimping in the article in Wikipedia. anyways thanks for the quick replies so far.

Hammer

(Allegheny County)

I use Lee dies and just use the bullet seating die. No crimping. No problems in my 1911's.

If you are getting Lee equipment, get the Lee book.

The individual caliber books are good to have as a supliment to a regulare loading book and inexpensive. They include data from various powder and bullet makers.

best of luck
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Chester County)

Unless you load bullets with a cannelure (the small groove around the rear circumference of a bullet, usually seen on rifle bullets) you don't want to roll crimp. And as others have said you do not want to roll crimp a semi-auto round that headspaces on the case mouth. Your cases will hold the bullet just fine without any crimp.

I used to load .45 and if not mistaken I use to run about 6 grains of Unique powder in each with good results. Its been a long time so I may be off on the amount of powder but it isn't that much. I found Unique to be pretty smokey though.

I may start loading .357 again. Price has gotten a bit over the top for factory loads. I have the dies and a bunch of cases just need to buy the other components and I'm good to go.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Koli01 View Post
    I use Lee dies and just use the bullet seating die. No crimping. No problems in my 1911's.

If you are getting Lee equipment, get the Lee book.

The individual caliber books are good to have as a supliment to a regulare loading book and inexpensive. They include data from various powder and bullet makers.

best of luck

All my loading equipment is from Lee. IMO the best deal for the casual to medium reloader out there. They get a bad rep from the hoity toits of the reloading community, however there's nothing wrong with Lee products. Good working man's equipment. I swear by their stuff.
    Last edited by Poonie; July 23rd, 2008 at 12:32 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast