Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Snert needs some optics info...

OK folks, Went to the show this weekend and purchased a new rifle.

For some reason I have had the bug for a DPMS LR-308, SASS rifle. I found a real good deal and pulled the trigger to buy it.

It came with Magpul flip up front and rear sights, BUT needs some glass.

I am looking for suggestions on glass for this rifle, it is a AR-10 platform semi auto.
    I have a budget of $500 for the glass alone.

I have looked at Vortex, Millet, and a few others. What do you have on your AR-10??

Looking for feedback and recommendations on the above brands or what ever else falls into the set budget.

My club has ranges from 25-200 yards, I honestly doubt that I will go much farther than that. I know, the rifle and round has much more potential. But 90% of the time, I shoot at my club only as it is the closest to me.

Snert..

Default Re: Snert needs some optics info...

did you consider a swfa fixed mag?
    Montani Semper Liberi

Nikon monarch 3
    sightron s3 fixed 10 power
    vortex hs-t
    bushnell elite

all can be had at around $500 except the vortex which is another $100 extra.
    and you would be getting descent glass and tracking.
    I would stay away from millet

Hard to beat the SWFA straight powered optics. Of the choices, I like the 12x with Mid Quad reticle for $300..spend the rest on a good Bobro or AD mount.
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-12x42-Tactic...pe-P53714.aspx

I like at least 30mm tubes and MIL/MIL is the way to go if you want to get into precision shooting down the road.

If you are limited to 200 yards...a standard 1" tube in 3x9 would be fine as well since 200 yards isn't very far.

Vortex makes a good optic and their CS is very good. I've had to use the CS for warranty and it was the best I've encountered.

Nikon makes some decent optics, but I really dislike their BDC reticles as it clutters your view and they only offer it in a 1" tube for the M 308.

Burris is starting to offer some nice optics as well. I found one for the 308 in your price range, but it's MOA and not MIL.
    http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-AR-7...pe-P68075.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Hard to beat the SWFA straight powered optics. Of the choices, I like the 12x with Mid Quad reticle for $300..spend the rest on a good Bobro or AD mount.
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-12x42-Tactic...pe-P53714.aspx

I like at least 30mm tubes and MIL/MIL is the way to go if you want to get into precision shooting down the road.

If you are limited to 200 yards...a standard 1" tube in 3x9 would be fine as well since 200 yards isn't very far.

Vortex makes a good optic and their CS is very good. I've had to use the CS for warranty and it was the best I've encountered.

Nikon makes some decent optics, but I really dislike their BDC reticles as it clutters your view and they only offer it in a 1" tube for the M 308.

Burris is starting to offer some nice optics as well. I found one for the 308 in your price range, but it's MOA and not MIL.
    http://swfa.com/Burris-45-14x42-AR-7...pe-P68075.aspx

you can get the monarch with xr target turrets and mil dot reticle instead of the bdc with 50 moa of travel for around $500 you still stuck with the 1" tube but that's not a deal breaker if your only shooting out to 300 yards or so.
    the plus is monarch glass is better than the prostaff/AR line of scopes.

(Berks County)

Another vote for SWFA here. I've got the 10x & it's worked great so far out to about 300 meters. Once the Mil/Mil system clicks, you won't want to go back to MOA.

Never owned an swfa scope, but hear good things about their optics.

Mil/mil or moa/moa..is like ford or chevy pick one..each achieve the same thing just different math to get there...mixed turret/reticle don't like them and can be confusing to convert

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by usmc21 View Post
    Never owned an swfa scope, but hear good things about their optics.

Mil/mil or moa/moa..is like ford or chevy pick one..each achieve the same thing just different math to get there...mixed turret/reticle don't like them and can be confusing to convert
    Yes absolutely true. I just tend to see a bunch of scopes with mil dot/hash as the ranging reticle of choice, but they have the moa turrets. MOA ranging reticles seem to be much rarer out there.

Also, I like math in 10s (I must be a commie).

i do prefer mil hash over mil dot as it seems easier to range targets using the reticle.

i noticed that a lot of bench shooter use moa/moa set ups due to fine 1/8 moa adjustments and tactial shooters tend to use mil/mil system

(Pike County)

To tell you the truth, never really thought about a fixed power optic.. Might just have to go look at them as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast