Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default What to buy next?

Hello everyone, I'm having trouble deciding what rifle to buy next. I'm looking for something that will have fairly good accuracy out to 300 yds, larger caliber (308?), be semi automatic, & be under $800 or so.

I already have other rifle to fill in the shorter distances, so now I'm looking to get out to 300 yds for when the zombies attack. I dont hunt, so its really for punching holes in paper, but I'd like to be fairly accurate.

What I've been looking at have been the Cetme in 308 ($$), Saiga in 308 ($), Dragunuv in 308 ($$)

Anybody have any suggestions that can help?

Thanks
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

Default Re: What to buy next?

.308 Is a really good round, but you could use almost any caliber, (of a well manufactured) weapons platform for reliable accuracy out to 300 yards. You will not enjoy collecting and shooting 7.62 NATO however. It is expensive and hard to find.

Look into picking up a slightly used Arsenal, NV. AK in 7.62 x 39 or a slightly used,(possibly new) Rock River Arms 20" HBAR.

Ammunition should always be a consideration.

You can still pick up 30-06, and you may be able to find an M1 Garand for around eight hundred dollars.

I would suggest that you take a few weekends and do some serious shopping. I would not pick up the CETME however. Buy something that is not made from a parts kit on a half-assed aftermarket reciever.

Believe it or not, you could even decimate the zombie hoards out to 300 yds. with an SKS. You just have to spend some time getting to know your weapon. Even the SKS has it's advantages, (along with it's limitations) and it is a robust and reliable design. Study weapons for their reliability and simplicity first. You want your rifle to be as reliable as your say...Glock. It needs to go bang when you pull the trigger. Your weapon needs to be something that you can move with, (that means when you are huffing it or have it up on your shoulder). Hitting something at the range is a far cry from hitting something in the field. Study weapons designs, take mag, parts and ammo availibity into account, and buy something good.

I am gun whore though. If you can shop by one theme I would suggest - Simple is better. Don't buy junk. You will not resell anything for a profit. Buy for keeps, and make sure that you get something that you like.

Happy hunting.

(Allegheny County)

Are you looking for a bolt action or semi-auto?
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Pike County)

I have a Saiga in .308. It's fun to shoot. The factory 8rd mags are a bit pricy, at about $40. If you hunt around you should be able to get the rifle for under $400.

(Montgomery County)

Anybody have any suggestions that can help?
    Save just a little more and get a DPMS Panther. Much nicer than anything you are currently looking at IMHO.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    I have a Saiga in .308. It's fun to shoot. The factory 8rd mags are a bit pricy, at about $40. If you hunt around you should be able to get the rifle for under $400.
    I think classicarms.us is selling the Saiga .308 for $329 right now.

PC

(Bucks County)

I'd grab the Saiga in 308. They also have 25 round mags now for it for $49 each. You have to modify 4 parts on the rifle to make the 922r be compliant to use the 25 rounder(s). It also takes alot of AK stuff/parts.

But for under $600 total you can get an AK folder and the US parts and the 25 rounder.
    Al Zeller

(Lebanon County)

m1 in .308
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Montgomery County)

I dont hunt, so its really for punching holes in paper, but I'd like to be fairly accurate

I think we need to know what your definition of fairly accurate is. If hitting a pie plate at two hundred yards is good enough, then the Saiga is an easy choice since they are so cheap. This seems to be the average accuracy of them reported by owners on the Saiga forums. If you want better, save your money.

(Philadelphia County)

M1 GARAND is my vote, You can pick one up for 8 easy, I just got a beauty for 700. ----- on the other hand, If you can find a 762x54 rifle,
    The ammo I just saw 440 rounds for 60 bucks the other day, Sure it is mildly corrosive, But they ran 1000ds of rounds through them before any issues, Just clean the rifle occasionally and be happy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast