Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default New to the board and new to 3 gun

Hi everyone. I'm new to the board and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Lebanon County and belong to Myerstown Rod and Gun since I was a kid and I am finally getting around to joining Heidelberg since I live right down the street.

I would like to do some of the 3 gun shoots they have and I am looking for some help/advice on how to get started. I do not have a long gun or tactical shotgun to use, but I've heard to just show up with ammo and people will let you shoot theirs. Is that really true? The 2015 season starts in January, so I have some time to get ready. Are there guys that I could meet at the range to learn more? I don't want to go drop $$$ without knowing more what works and what doesn't. Any help would be great.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: New to the board and new to 3 gun

If you show up and want to try gear at local matches you can usually find someone that can help you. It's best to show up, make some new friends and learn the rules and divisions. There are different gear options and that will influence what guns you decide to purchase.

For the most part, most people need an AR15 and a semi-auto 12 gauge. The details after that are all about preference.

I shoot mostly Tactical Division so I use a Remington 1100 Competition Master for shotgun. The Mossberg 930, Winchester Super X2/3, FN and Benelli shotguns are also nice options. For rifles the AR15 in a flat top configuration in 16" or 18" barrels works well.

Feel free to ask questions.

Lycanmoregunmorefunthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lebanon County)

Thanks for the info. What do you mean by flat top configuration? No A post?
    Is it cool to show up compete the first time or should I plan on going to a a few first?

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by dieffman View Post
    Is it cool to show up compete the first time or should I plan on going to a a few first?
    It's always a good idea to go to a match and meet some people, see how a match goes down and what's involved such as equipment, safety and rules. Doing that might help you with preparation and what to expect before you shoot your first match.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by dieffman View Post
    The front A2 post is ok as long as you don't have a high magnification scope. The carry handle rear isn't so fun unless you want to shoot irons. In a lot of matches irons now shoot against non magnified red dots so most prefer the red dot.

You can certainly show up and you can tell them you're new and want to play. You can also get people to let you try their gear, but probably not for a full match.

Lycannextquestionthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lebanon County)

Thanks for the help guys. I stopped in at the gun shop tonight to pick up my new Sig and got an AR education while I was there. I think for now I will put a composite stock and longer tube on my 1100 to save some money, and focus on setting up an AR. My Ruger P95 has 8 round mags. Is that sufficient to start?