Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Clinton County)

Default ACT 235 Employment

This is my first post but I have read this forum a great deal and it seems like there are a lot of good people here. I want to give a little background on who I am and what brings me to this crossroads in my life.

I am 34 with two wonderful kids, a great wife, house and dog. I am just a white picket fence away from the perfect American family (although, I have a very nice vinyl fence in my yard).

I have three college degrees (Sociology, Criminal Justice and Social Science Education). I am certified in a variety of areas and sit in front of this computer without a job. Part of this reason is due to the less than stellar economy in central PA and an equal part is due to some personal hurdles at home; namely, my wife being in Grad-school and working full time. With two young kids someone needs to stay home to watch them.

None-the-less, I find myself looking at the ACT 235 certification in hopes of using this as a springboard into employment. I have no doubt that I would handle the academics of this certification with ease and I shoot well enough that I would not be worried about the qualifing at the range. The fee being only $300 and the time being only 40 hours does not seem like a huge problem but I would not look forward to obtaining yet another certification to only go to waist. This leads me to my basic question.........

What sort of employment awaits an ACT 235, college educated 34 year old who has a huge amount of experience in managment, teaching and counseling? I am from Central PA (Lock Haven, Williamsport, State College Area).

Thanks in advance, Slippery

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: ACT 235 Employment

This is strictly an opinion but over the years I have had a lot of contact with 235 security guys...it is a thankless, underpaid with no authority position.
    I would think with your background a supervisory position with a security agency would certainlly be a possibility. Good Luck

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: ACT 235 Employment

What Capitol Cop said!!!!!!!!!! ACT 235 folks only make between $7-$15 per hour ...check out your local hospitals, mfg plants , nuke plants and colleges.

(Northampton County)

I live in Easton, PA completed Act 235 in Jan. 2011 and got a job driving an armored truck for $10.00 hr. but only part time about 25-30 hrs. a week. But I had no job so it is better than nothing while I keep looking. Easton Hospital and Northamptom Community College both have un-armed guards, maybe it is different near you. Best of luck.

(Montgomery County)

Like others have said most Act 235 jobs are thankless, however if you look at the possible route of Executive Protection or other similar jobs, the pay is better as well. Without any experience it might be hard to break into the field of work, but it is possible. I am not sure about companies in that specific are of PA, but with some digging you might be able to find something. I can try and use some contacts to see if any companies are in that area and if they are looking for people.

(Delaware County)

ive had a 235 for years.
    plenty of low paying, crap jobs out there.
    you can make nice cash at nightclubs in the less pleasant parts of philadelphia, best to be comforatable getting into fights though. the line between 235 agent and thuggery gets really blurred sometimes.
    its hard to find something steady though, its typically they will call if they need you. most guys do other stuff during the day.
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

Quote Originally Posted by capitolcop View Post
    This is strictly an opinion but over the years I have had a lot of contact with 235 security guys...it is a thankless, underpaid with no authority position.
    I would think with your background a supervisory position with a security agency would certainlly be a possibility. Good Luck
    This would be my suggestion as well. Try for some sort of corporate security position, ideally in management. Usually not the greatest pay in the world, even at the management levels, but much higher than most run-of-the-mill security jobs.
    It is unfortunate that security work doesn't pay well. I guess in most cases, the illusion of security trumps actual security.

(Pike County)

Where I work is looking for a p/t officer, but I would think that the distance is to far for you. The job is in Bushkill. PM me if you should want any info.

(Wayne County)

Im not sure if this was mentioned or not but if you get ACT 235 it opens up opportunities for free lance security work. Such as event security or during the holidays for certain things. You shoudnt depend on stuff like this but freelance jobs usually come available a few times throughout the year so its nice to do stuff like that to make some extra cash. Oh free lance stuff usually pays pretty good too compared to a normal security job.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zoanemesis View Post
    Im not sure if this was mentioned or not but if you get ACT 235 it opens up opportunities for free lance security work. Such as event security or during the holidays for certain things. You shoudnt depend on stuff like this but freelance jobs usually come available a few times throughout the year so its nice to do stuff like that to make some extra cash. Oh free lance stuff usually pays pretty good too compared to a normal security job.
    If they are not bonded, then forget about it.