Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Attended First IDPA Shoot

I just attended the IDPA shoot held by the Indiana County Bow and Gun Club on May 07th. WHAT A BLAST! I have to say that I learned a lot about how my gun and I perform under dynamic shooting conditions. My gun ran great. I, on the other hand, did not. Although, I can say that I had a consistent sight picture...consistently terrible. For the first few stages I was so focused on speed that my technique went right down the crapper. It wasn't until after the 3rd of 5 stages that I began to slow down and make my hits count. And guess what, my time actually improved a little. Now how 'bout that?!?! I guess "smooth is fast" after all!

I was running my Remington 1911R1 (slightly modified). Although taking my Glock 17 would have probably been better, and cheaper, my 1911 is my carry gun so I wanted to get some good "real-world" simulation with it. She ran like a total champ. We only had one FTF and that was 100% operator error. I didn't properly seat the magazine prior to starting the stage. Nothing a quick tap-rack-bang didn't fix.

If anybody is interested, the ICBGC does an IDPA match the first Saturday of every month from March through October (registration starts promptly at 0900). Rumor has it, the Oct match is going to be a 3-gun shoot. If you want directions or more info, feel free to PM me. The matches are well laid out and the "old-timers" really try to help out the new guys.
    "Life does not stop and start at your convenience."

(Cambria County)

Default Re: Attended First IDPA Shoot

Glad you had a good time. Nice to see your humble attitude also.

I just started to look into IDPA. Do you have any advice on where to start?

I've been looking here >>>http://www.idpa.com/clublist.asp?pick=PA

What (if any) type of "prep" can I do PRIOR to going to an event?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Mifflin County)

Glad you enjoyed your first match. I haven't shot at that club ( yet, at least) but have enjoyed shooting at several others around the state.

Stick with it, you'll get better with experience and can have a lot of fun. Check the IDPA website, you'll see there are multiple clubs around the state to shoot at, and checking their schedules, you can shoot a match, or two, pretty much every weekend of the summer.

Edit: CenterTree, my advice would be to read the rulebook and get a good grasp of the basic rules and procedures. Make sure your gun and gear is legal for IDPA and the division you want to shoot. Practice drawing from a holster while wearing a cover garment. Contact the match director at the club you plan on going to and see if they have any special procedures for new competitors. Ask any questions you may have, either here, the IDPA forums, or with your local match director.
    Last edited by IV_Warrior; May 8th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.

(Montgomery County)

there is something about that beep that makes you forget all your plans for running the course and you just start shooting away..

I'm still new to IDPA and learning.

Centertree all you really need is your gun a holster you would use to conceal carry and a belt holder to carry 2 mags, whether its two single holders or a double mag holder on your belt. So 3 magazines total. They also like that you have some type of cover garment to stick to the spirit of the match. So like covering with with a tshirt or open jacket works.

It is a really newbie friendly comp with not requiring very much to get started.

(Lackawanna County)

try here for a list of all local tristate clubs and there schedules... www.nepaidpascores.net

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    there is something about that beep that makes you forget all your plans for running the course and you just start shooting away..
    No doubt! I remember approaching one course thinking to myself "it would be much faster to shoot from right to left". Then the buzzer went off, I grabbed my gun and swung right to the far left target. As it fell I remember thinking "all right...wait a minute...CRAP!" but it was too late then. Nothing to do but just play it as it lays.

IDPA really is an eye opener for anybody that carrys a handgun.
    "Life does not stop and start at your convenience."

Good for you, first shoot and it only took you a couple stages to figure out what it took me and i still forgot at times. "Your gun came with sights use them"

Next time have someone film you shoot. You will be surprised how fast your shooting.

So when is your next shoot ?
    Tantric Shooting Team

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Donre View Post
    who cares.
    Seriously? You have a post count of 9 and want to come and try to start shit with someone posting about their first IDPA experience. Not the best of ways to become welcome here. Who cares? It looks like quite a few of us care, especially those of us also new to IDPA or looking to get into IDPA. If you are going to act like a troll then you are not welcome here. Please exit the same way you entered.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Mifflin County)

Don't feed the trolls..........

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Don't feed the trolls..........
    Sadly, I now read your sound advice after doing so in another thread. Epic fail me....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast