Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default F.I.R.E Carbine Class Basics AAR

So I took my first traning course ever. As another member posted up in his thread, "I didnt know sh!t."

I was the odd ball running around with a Kriss Super V in .45 ACP. Next to 7 AR15s. One was running some cheap russian 545 ammo and iron sights. everyone else, including me, had some form of eotech or aimpoint.

But the Kriss held its own. Even at 200 yds!!! Believe it. I have witnesses.

We shot at 200 yd steel man shaped targets. I didnt participate, at first, thinking there is no way im hitting that with 45 acp. but after a little prodding from my class mates, I pulled out the kriss and tried it.

I had to hold over about a foot above the head to hit the chest. The spotters could actually see the rounds, thru their scopes, lob over and hit the steel and ricochet with energy. It was so funny to hear the 45 acp ping the steel. I did not believe that would be possible.

The class was structured to shoot from 50 yds and in. From standing, kneeling, sitting, and prone. And any combination of distance and position, except prone was saved for 50 yds.

We worked on a 2 shot standard response to center mass. sometimes they would switch it up and after the standard 2 shot response, get a precision shot to the head. Not that you are aiming for the head in a real scenario, cause more than likely after the two shots, the target's head will be somewhere else. hopefully on the floor and doesnt want the fight anymore.

One somewhat tricky drill was shooting two targets. 2 to the chest, aim to the next guy on the left and shoot him two in the chest, then go back to the first one and get a head shot. Plus your on a timer which messes with you head.

there were some really challenging and fun simulators on the last day.

One was a scramble. zig zagging left and right from station to station. Prone - sitting - kneeling- standing. every station gets you closer to the targets. there were two steel circle targets. you shoot one side at one position, then move to the other position and shoot at the other target. when you move to the third station, you shoot the first target again and so on to the final station.

I got really hung up on the kneeling. i kept missing. oh yeah plus you are timed.

It is a shame we didnt really get into searching and assessing danger too much. But after one simulator, in particular, you know you pretty much died and knowing that really makes you think.

There are some real good fundamentals that I got exposed to. But I really really need to focus on them and practice or im gonna forget.
    Simple things like trigger follow thru and reset seem like mundane inconsequential issues but they really make the difference.

Squatting/kneeling and reloading sucks. Specially trying the jam a full glock 21 mag into a closed bolt in my Kriss. it is tough. real tough.

Im anxious to see some of the pictures that ORIONZ06 shot.

Atomicdog holsters made me a dual mag pouch for my glock mags and it works well with the extended 30rd kriss mag. i love that setup. I was pretty quick with the reloads. Issues I had were the fact that the Kriss mag release is like a glock, on the support side of the weapon. so the types of reloads, like the tactical reload, was not really feasible for me. I would have to take care of one mag at a time. But it didnt slow me down.

I highly, highly recommend this course if you have a carbine. ARs make it easier cause mostly everyone is using them but if I can do it with a 45 acp carbine, anyone can do it. certain factors come into mind though with other types of carbines. Pouches and trying to do a speed reload. Not sure how a PS90 would do. But it is possible.
    Last edited by Solscud007; May 24th, 2010 at 07:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: F.I.R.E Carbine Class Basics AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Solscud007 View Post
    It is a shame we didnt really get into searching and assessing danger too much. But after one simulator, in particular, you know you pretty much died and knowing that really makes you think.
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    there might be a money and schedule conflict. I might be in England around that time.

Thanks to Orionz06 for taking awesome pictures,

(Allegheny County)

Here are two pictures of the scramble. you can see the orange steel target in one of the pics as im running to the left from the kneeling station.

It was good to see you out there this weekend. I'm still tending to my sunburns..lol.

(Allegheny County)

Nice. I don't own an Ak or any kind of AR or other tactical carbine.

I didn't think I was going to be around last weekend or I would have signed up for the pistol class. Wish it was offered more often.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    I didn't think I was going to be around last weekend or I would have signed up for the pistol class. Wish it was offered more often.
    here i another basic pistol class hosted (later this summer) by FIRE and taught by a top notch nationally recognized instructor...

http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_handgun_101.htm
    F*S=k

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    here i another basic pistol class hosted (later this summer) by FIRE and taught by a top notch nationally recognized instructor...

http://www.fireinstitute.org/fire_handgun_101.htm

Randy Cain is outstanding.

(Allegheny County)

Not sure I can swing it this quarter - mainly cause I am paying thousands in closing costs on a new house on June 30th. If work sends me on more trips I can save up my per diem!!
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Montgomery County)

So, do you have a link to where the rest of the pictures are posted?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast