Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Re: Got some range time with an M&P .40.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningBoy View Post
    You do not need practice dealing with recoil. When you shoot a .22 you are working on your technique. Stance, breathing, sight alignment, and trigger pull. Once you have the technique down you will be much better prepared to handle recoil. Once you learn that the recoil and noise will not hurt you, you will do just fine. One word of caution, Do Not Dry Fire a .22, you will damage it.
    That makes sense, thank you. BTW I heard from my user manual for my rifle that dry firing can damage the firing pin, I got really red in the face because I dried fired it 3-4 times before getting to that part of the manual. Thankfully I didn't do damage to my rifle.

BTW, this is an open question to anyone: Where can I find a good deal on the Mk. III or the Browning Buck Mark?
    Last edited by LifeInPa; May 20th, 2010 at 08:36 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    The only thing I don't like about the Mk. III's is the price. They seem to cost between $380 and $500+.?

I got my Ruger Mark III 22/45 for $269 out the door. Basic, but probably one of the best buys in the gun universe.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by briantheshooter View Post
    I got my Ruger Mark III 22/45 for $269 out the door. Basic, but probably one of the best buys in the gun universe.
    Do you know the difference between the basic model and these Mk. III's that cost nearly $500?

One thing I don't think people realize is EVERY gun has recoil, It's just a matter of how much. Shooting a 22 will teach to shoot any handgun. They are all the same. It's like saying I won't be able to shoot a .44 mag if I've only shot a 9mm. The only thing recoil really effects is how fast you can shoot. With more recoil there is more muzzle rise and it takes a little bit longer to get back on target. The best thing you can do to learn correctly is take advice from experts. But some DVD's or watch youtube videos of experts not just some guy with an opinion. Here is a link to what I believe is one of the greatest books ever written on shooting hanguns:

http://www.brianenos.com/store/books.html

Buy Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals. Read it a couple times, shoot a lot, then read it a couple more times. You will be amazed with what you learn.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    One thing I don't think people realize is EVERY gun has recoil, It's just a matter of how much. Shooting a 22 will teach to shoot any handgun. They are all the same. It's like saying I won't be able to shoot a .44 mag if I've only shot a 9mm. The only thing recoil really effects is how fast you can shoot. With more recoil there is more muzzle rise and it takes a little bit longer to get back on target. The best thing you can do to learn correctly is take advice from experts. But some DVD's or watch youtube videos of experts not just some guy with an opinion. Here is a link to what I believe is one of the greatest books ever written on shooting hanguns:

http://www.brianenos.com/store/books.html

Buy Practical Shooting Beyond Fundamentals. Read it a couple times, shoot a lot, then read it a couple more times. You will be amazed with what you learn.
    Thats a good idea but I am wondering if I would be better served with a class. For example when I rented the M&P .40 the instructor demonstrated how to hold the pistol. However, when I handled the pistol I was still holding it wrong but because the instructor was right there she was able to correct me. With a book I don't know if I would properly absorb the knowledge in this "hands on" hobby.

Thats a good idea but I am wondering if I would be better served with a class. For example when I rented the M&P .40 the instructor demonstrated how to hold the pistol. However, when I handled the pistol I was still holding it wrong but because the instructor was right there she was able to correct me. With a book I don't know if I would properly absorb the knowledge in this "hands on" hobby.
    Classes are great too, just expensive. I went the book and DVD route but probably spent a ton more on ammo trying to figure things out when an instructor might be able to show you in a few min. Just make sure the instructor can shoot. Just because they are "Certified" doesn't mean they are great at shooting. A Certified instructor can show you the basics but a Certified instructor that is highly skilled can show you a lot more. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. For someone starting out any class would be a good idea. I still highly recommend that book. The way it's written you can visualize a lot of what he's talking about. You will have to shoot for a while to understand some of the concepts but it also has some great things for beginners.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    Classes are great too, just expensive. I went the book and DVD route but probably spent a ton more on ammo trying to figure things out when an instructor might be able to show you in a few min. Just make sure the instructor can shoot. Just because they are "Certified" doesn't mean they are great at shooting. A Certified instructor can show you the basics but a Certified instructor that is highly skilled can show you a lot more. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. For someone starting out any class would be a good idea. I still highly recommend that book. The way it's written you can visualize a lot of what he's talking about. You will have to shoot for a while to understand some of the concepts but it also has some great things for beginners.
    The book is only $20 so I think I will try the book and a .22 pistol first, I might save a ton of money which I can use to grow my collection of pistols and rifles. However if I decide to take a class how will I know if the instructor knows anything?

(Chester County)

if your good you can usually find FMJ .40s for around $14-15 a box which is pretty good IMO. i bought 500 for $165 which equates to about $16.5 a box. i thought that was good until i made a trip to walmart and found the same box for like $14 and change. i mean its still not as good of a deal as a brick of .22s but look at the difference in size from .22s and .40s.

good luck and welcome to the world of pistols.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

The book is only $20 so I think I will try the book and a .22 pistol first, I might save a ton of money which I can use to grow my collection of pistols and rifles. However if I decide to take a class how will I know if the instructor knows anything?
    Since you are just starting out I would think any NRA certified instructor would be fine. As you develop your skills you might want to start asking about their shooting experience. Also just because they used to be in the Military or were a Police Officer does not mean they are an expert marksman. Better than average, most likely but unless they shoot regularly or in competition I guarantee they are no "expert". I usually beat all the law enforcement and military guys at my shoots and I've never even been to a class. Learn good fundamentals, grip, stance, trigger control and how to really see what your sights are doing then practice. You can't dry fire a .22 (maybe with snap caps, not sure) but this is an excellent way to increase skill and it's free. I dry fire, Practice target transitions, practice draws and reloads at least 3hrs a week. Then I do the same thing at the range with live ammo at least once a week. You will be amazed how quickly you improve if you practice at least 3 or 4 days a week for even a 1/2 hr a day. Good luck and be safe.

I just noticed you live in Hawley. Once you get a gun, forget about Pocono Pistol Club. That place costs a fortune. Check out Heberlings Sporting Goods in Prompton. He has a 50 ft indoor pistol range behind his store. It's either $20/yr plus either $4 or $8 per lane per hr or $125/yr unlimited. Here's the link:

http://www.heberlings.com/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast