Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Walther PPS feed problem

I bought my wife a Walther PPS .40 that she loves.
    After only 100 rds thru it we encountered a feed jam.
    .40 S&W 180 Gr FMJ FN factory ammo.
    Left to me I would return it immediately.
    But it was the only 'decent' gun that fit her hand.
    She wants to "give it one more chance".
    Suggestions?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Walther PPS feed problem

one jam and youre ready to ditch it? i say give it a real chance man. perhaps it just needs a bit more breaking in? have you tried other ammo?

(Allegheny County)

1 jam in 100 rounds of factory ammo is not good, but it shouldn't mean get rid of the gun either.

Me personally, I would not be carrying it yet, I would be putting another couple hundred rounds through it to satisfy myself that it is reliable before I used it for a personal defense gun.

Also like Prof. Chaos posted, try some other ammo too.

Then if it continues to hic-up, get rid of it and get the 9mm version!

Good luck
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Delaware County)

Guns need at least 100 rounds through for the break in process. Some say at least 300 for proper break in (except for Glocks ). If you're having a failure to feed (jam is something you put on toast) I'd say it's more likely a magazine issue than a gun or ammo issue.

One round out of the first 100 is hardly any reason to discredit the gun. I have the 9mm PPS and have not had any problems with feeding. In theory the .40 should eject and feed BETTER than the 9mm because of the higher pressure load.

(Allegheny County)

why did you get it in 40 ?

The PPS is a tiny gun, with heavy springs, Im assuming like many women your wife has small hands and a weak grip. Has she had any formal training? The PPS is a recipe for a gun that is likely to be supseptable to "limp wristing", add to that chambering it in 40, which I just cant wrap my head around.

My 9mm PPS will fail to feed from limp wristing if my wife with her tiny tiny hands shoots it, but for me no problems in roughly 600+ rounds of all sorts of mixed ammo brand and types.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Conglomeration Al View Post
    Guns need at least 100 rounds through for the break in process. Some say at least 300 for proper break in (except for Glocks ). If you're having a failure to feed (jam is something you put on toast) I'd say it's more likely a magazine issue than a gun or ammo issue.

One round out of the first 100 is hardly any reason to discredit the gun. I have the 9mm PPS and have not had any problems with feeding. In theory the .40 should eject and feed BETTER than the 9mm because of the higher pressure load.
    the reason i said ammo is because some low impulse cheapo ammo doesnt have the proper power to cycle the gun properly. i experienced that with my pk380. once i switched ammo its been 100% reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    why did you get it in 40 ?

The PPS is a tiny gun, with heavy springs, Im assuming like many women your wife has small hands and a weak grip. Has she had any formal training? The PPS is a recipe for a gun that is likely to be supseptable to "limp wristing", add to that chambering it in 40, which I just cant wrap my head around.

My 9mm PPS will fail to feed from limp wristing if my wife with her tiny tiny hands shoots it, but for me no problems in roughly 600+ rounds of all sorts of mixed ammo brand and types.

i shot a PPS in 40... and it felt like it was gonna fly out of my hands lol. i could definitely see someone limp wristing it.