Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LTCF Process

(Adams County)

Default LTCF Process

Well, the day after my paperwork was filed my one and only friend in Littlestown (co-worker) got a call from the Sheriff asking the 5 questions to determine if I'm okay or not.

Here's the however part. The form had a question on it, do I possess a carry permit issued by any other state. Not wanting to lie on an official government form and beging that I do have a Virginia non resident permit I put yes. It also asked for a photocopy of the permit. I asked the kind lady behind the window if she would mind photocopying it for the paperwork and she said she didn't need it. I then said okay thanks, good thing I have this to hold me over until my PA LCTF is approved (why I had to open my big mouth I'll never know).

If you could have seen the look on her face, her eyes got pretty big. She said my VA permit was no longer valid since I was no longer a resident of Virginia. I politely corrected her and stated I was a resident of Maryland and the permit was issued to me as a Non Resident Virginia CCW, which means not a resident of Virginia. She then stated, well that permit was issued to you by Virginia in good faith when you were a Maryland resident, I'm sure its no longer valid. I again politely corrected her, I informed the VA State Police of my address change, they said no problem. Being that PA and VA have reciprocity, my Virginia permit is valid until my LTCF is complete here. I also reminded her it was the Attorney General of the Commonwealth's opinion that the reciprocity is granted to the issuing state, not the residency of the individual. She then stated, well not in my opinion, you are taking advantage of a loophole and you can't get away with that.

Being that I didn't want to endanger my request in her hands I decided to drop the issue and told her "well, okay, I don't want to be a test case with you anyway." just so that I could politely end the conversation to which she smiled and said okay, it could be up to 4 weeks before you get your letter.

Could I have handled that better until I learn to just keep my mouth shut?
    Porsche, there is no substitute

Default Re: LTCF Process

Curious...was she a deputy in uniform or a non-uniformed employee?

(York County)

Sounds like you did your homework on the issue, but the moron you were talking with was more interested in her ill-informed OPINIONS than facts.

I believe I would have asked for her supervisor immediately. I do NOT take kindly to the kind of brow-beating you took from an ignorant asshole on a power trip.

...but that's just me.

You can still make contact with her supervisor over this and get her corrected. Someone else could fall into the misfortune of having to deal with this idiot.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Adams County)

HG - Not in uniform, I'm guessing just an employee of the department.

Curmud - you can bet once I get my permit I'll raise the issue with the supervisor and/or sheriff as politely as I can.

Here's the cut and paste from the Virginia State Police with reference to the validity of my permit directly from their FAQ section:

The address on my Nonresident Concealed Handgun Permit is no longer correct. Is my permit still valid?
    Yes. Virginia Code Section 18.2-308, which governs the issuance of nonresident concealed handgun permits, makes no provisions for changes of address. A permit once issued remains valid until the expiration date is met, or upon suspension or revocation, regardless of the change of address. However, the Virginia State Police will issue change of address cards upon request. Holders of nonresident permits are requested to notify the Virginia State Police, Firearms Transaction Center (FTC) in writing at P.O. Box 85141, Richmond, VA, 23285-5141 or on-line at nonrespermit@vsp.virginia.gov. Additional information is available at http://www.vsp.state.va.us/cjis_nrcwp.htm.
    Last edited by jhbenson4; May 14th, 2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: form not permit (duh)

(Butler County)

Based on calling your refs the next day looks like no problem with the conversation. The clerk at our sherrifs office says 45 days and you get it in a week, no letter, the LCTF or they'll call you to come and pick it up if you want.

Welcome to the Adams Co. sherriff......

Good luck addressing the issue...

I met him during his last campaign, he is a jack-ass.....

Glad I am York Co.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post

I met him during his last campaign, he is a jack-ass.....

Glad I am York Co.
    Gee, this make me feel good.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: LTCF Process

id be suprise if he ever gets a ltcf

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tomgun1 View Post
    id be suprise if he ever gets a ltcf
    Sadly, I was thinking the same thing.
    Hopefully she has no influence on the determination.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Adams County)

We'll see. I have the fortitude to fight them if they try to deny me for a BS reason and can afford an attorney and will spend money to prove a point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast