Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Smile Got my new Taurus 738

Hey folks, got my Taurus 738 a few weeks ago. Picked it up at the York machine gun show from the fine folks at Mechanicsburg Ordanance.

So it took until today for me to finally get to the range (Shooter's Delight, Chambersburg). Went through exactly 100 rounds without a single malfunction. I was using some standard .380 auto ammo I picked up in York. It was actually hard for me to finally get comfortable with the thing. My hands are pretty big and it was very small for me. I really like it though for the conceal carry. I put a couple magazines through my Rugar P-89 which felt especially comfortable in my hands after the 100 rounds in the Taurus. I recommend for anyone on the fence.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: Got my new Taurus 738

Quote Originally Posted by BigNutz View Post
    Hey folks, got my Taurus 738 a few weeks ago. Picked it up at the York machine gun show from the fine folks at Mechanicsburg Ordanance.

So it took until today for me to finally get to the range (Shooter's Delight, Chambersburg). Went through exactly 100 rounds without a single malfunction. I was using some standard .380 auto ammo I picked up in York. It was actually hard for me to finally get comfortable with the thing. My hands are pretty big and it was very small for me. I really like it though for the conceal carry. I put a couple magazines through my Rugar P-89 which felt especially comfortable in my hands after the 100 rounds in the Taurus. I recommend for anyone on the fence.
    Welcome to PAFOA! Congrats on the new toy. I've been looking at them. Mechanicsburg Ordanance is very close to me, did they have anything else cool at the show?

If I may ask, what did you pay for it? Also, what do you think of the holster/carrying case that came with the gun?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I bought a 738 about a month ago. I seems like a pretty accurate little shooter. Had some problems with feeding rounds that I fixed by tweaking the magazine. I think you will enjoy carrying it.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    If I may ask, what did you pay for it? Also, what do you think of the holster/carrying case that came with the gun?
    No problem, the one I bought was the black stainless steel. Would have picked up the titanium one if he had it. I think I walked away with two boxes of ammo and all fees and taxes for $360, or close to it.

As for the holster, it is honestly IMHO a little bit too big to pass as a PDA. You cannot however see any portions of the pistol when it is properly used, and if it were winter and you were wearing a large sweatshirt, it would cover up very well. If you try to pass it off as a PDA though, people are going to think you have an antique from the early 90's!

I don't wear it, electing instead to utilize my laptop briefcase which is specially designed with a conceal carry pocket. It is with me 99% of the time, so it works for me.

Hope that helps.

I purchased a Taurus TCP 380 for off-duty law enforcement use. Its size is perfect for a front pants pocket holster. I purchase one from High Noon (Florida) and it is great. Unfortunately, I've had trouble with the pistol and have had to send to to Taurus for repair...

First, I tore the gun down and lightly oiled it. Then, I fired 150 rounds of ball ammunition through it with only 2 hiccups, at round #17 and #51. Otherwise, it was flawless. I chalked the two failures-to-feed to the normal break-in process. So far, so good...

Then I switched to Fiocchi 90 JHP ammunition. On my very first attempt to chamber, failure-to-feed. This happened 15 times in a row. I switched to Federal JHP ammo, then Hornaday--same problem. By that time, the extractor looked battered and scarred...

I sent it back last week and they said it would be 3 weeks or so. I called them today and they said they would test it with controlled expansion ammunition before shipping it back.

So far, I have no soured on the gun. It's neat, and has a lot of features the only big guns have--like last round mag hold-open and a loaded chamber indicator. It's the right size and shape, and the trigger is good. Recoil is VERY manageable, especially compared to the Keltec and the Ruger 380.

Taurus also has a very good reputation for fixing its problems. I've put them to the test. Hopefully, they'll pass and they'll have a good customer.

My wife is retiring as a school teacher in 6 days and I'm planning a car trip out West in a few weeks. I plan on taking the Taurus TCP along as a pocket gun and a Glock 19 as my car gun. Looking forward to receiving the Taurus back soon!!!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Law Officer View Post
    I plan on taking the Taurus TCP along as a pocket gun and a Glock 19 as my car gun. Looking forward to receiving the Taurus back soon!!!
    That's disappointing to hear, although I have not had the same experience. I hope they get it back to you in time for the trip. Let me know how they handle the customer service aspect. I'm a bit of a Customer Service junkie myself, and have been very disappointed lately (Not by Taurus, but Home Depot, Floor Installers, Realtors, etc...).

I will let you know my response from Taurus. I've heard nothing but good, so my expectations are high. In the meanwhile, I'm carrying a Keltec cal. 32 in a front pocket holster. I'll carry it with me if the Taurus 380 isn't returned in time. Always obey Rule #1 during a gunfight: HAVE A GUN! Like the Bible says, "It is more blessed to give than to receive." (Taken a little out of context, but it works for me! LOL.)

(Indiana County)

My reply will be a tale of two Taurus (Tauri?) 738 TCP's. I purchased mine about two months ago and have put about 300 rounds of varied ammo through it with only a single malfunction, a failure to fully chamber after about 150 rounds. I'm certain that failure was due to dirt. The little Taurus shot FMJ and JHP equally well and in very nice well centered groups for a pocket gun.

My wife shot numerous magazines out of my 783, so she decided she wanted a pocket .380 of her own. She looked at the Ruger LCP,(didn't like the feel) Kel Tec,(Didn't like the cheapness) Kahr, (too much for a 380- plus she has a Kahr K9) and Bersa (too big)-so she ordered a 738 exactly like mine.

I cleaned and re-lubed the pistol and we headed for the range. Magazine one- two failures to extract. Mag two OK, Mag three 3 FTE's. Switched ammo. Mag 4, 3 FTE's Mag 5 OK, Mag six 3 FTE's. Gave up for that day. Cleaned, re lubed and took the magazines for my 738 to the range a couple days later. Tried over 100 rounds. Had 25 FTE's-what a pin in the sack.

Tore it apart and found a rough edge on the barrel hood and a burr on the slide. Polished those off, cleaned thoroughly and lubed. To the range again. Two mags fired as fast as possible-OK. Go back to deliberate fire and had at least two FTE's per 6 rounds through 75 rounds.NOTE:accurate as hell-just won't extract--

Called Taurus and explained the problem and that I'd tried two magazines form a properly functioning 738. The man offered to send me an extractor. I declined saying the gun is two weeks old. I've spent $36 on range fees and $200 in ammo and want it factory serviced. Man says-No problem-overnight it to us via Fed EX. I replied-"that costs about $55 and I don't feel I should have to pay the shipping for repair of a two week old pistol.". He replied- How about I have it picked up by Fed Ex? Needless to say I agreed. The pistol is now in Miami and I'll report back on the speed and completeness of the repair. If it shoots like mine when I get it back the wife and I will be 100% satisfied.

i carry mine more than anything else.

had a few FTEs when i first got it. the spring broke in fast, within 150 rounds the gun loosened up a bit and was easier to rack, and FTE's went away. i use hornady for defensive hollowpoints (the nosepiece ensures smooth feeding on the steep ramp of such a little gun).

i have big hands but find tcp points well, recoil is manageable, and i can shoot 100 rounds at a time without much discomfort (of course it still isn't a "range gun" by any stretch). more than accurate enough at close-med range. tight patterns at rapid rate of fire.

i'd like a Kahr P380 or PM9 at some point, but TCP is reliable and good to go. no comparison to my detective special which can't just disappear in a pocket like the TCP. likewise, just so easy, compared to M&P9c IWB.

takedown is actually really easy. once you get used to it you can pop the pin in and out with your bare hands.

i have have an excuse to not be carrying with this thing. so small.
    Last edited by BlueGunGuy; October 28th, 2010 at 08:12 PM.

(Delaware County)

What is it about Taurus and FTE problems... I bought a 709 slim about a year ago and sent it back 2 days later with the same problem.

I have to say for my experience with their customer service, they paid for shipping and fixed the gun. 600 rounds later it's still good to go.

Good luck with your guns guys, I hope it all works out for you like it did for me.
    I want to like Taurus products, but I'm just not quite there yet. Maybe another 1000 rounds will get me there.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast