Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Outer Banks, NC carry laws

I am heading down to the Outer banks next month. We will be staying around Avon. I know I can't carry in MD, but I am ok to do so in VA, and NC, However I just looked up and saw the Outer Banks is a "National Seashore". So I guess I can't carry at all there? If not am I allowed to have it locked up in my truck?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Outer Banks, NC carry laws

Just because the outer banks is the "national seashore" does not mean it is federally owned or leased properties. I do not know the laws of NC. However, if you do know the laws of NC and follow them I am sure you will be fine.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Just because the outer banks is the "national seashore" does not mean it is federally owned or leased properties. I do not know the laws of NC. However, if you do know the laws of NC and follow them I am sure you will be fine.
    And if it's a national park, then you would be required to follow state law. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that means you can CC there, if your state allows CC everywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Schuylkill County)

Here's a start:

http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm

When I lived there, I was grey area enough to probably get a permit, but my official home of record was here, so I just OCd.

(Montgomery County)

Good post Don Smith.

NC is one fucked up state. Basically it says that you could be arrested at any time because open carry is "maybe" legal. It goes further to state that it is the discretion of law enforcement to arrest for Open Carry. Take it a little further, one can be arrested for the following:

There is a common-law offense in NC called "going armed to the terror of the people." Basically what this means is that if someone sees you carrying a firearm and calls the police to report "person with a gun," you can be charged with this offense. It's not often used in rural areas, but has been used in populated areas. If you are an out-of-state visitor who is not here lawfully hunting or engaged in some overt firearms-related event such as a competition, it will be hard to talk your way out of it.

Man are they fucking backwards. Good thing I live in a more enlightened state, where the law is not decided by the enforcers... well sometimes.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by DonSmithnotTMD View Post
    Here's a start:

http://www.ncrpa.org/ccwfaq.htm

When I lived there, I was grey area enough to probably get a permit, but my official home of record was here, so I just OCd.
    if you go to this link and read towards the bottom it says

"Much of the Outer Banks is "National Seashore," and firearms are prohibited in those areas."

(Monroe County)

I was shopping at a wegmans with my girlfriend, maybe 2 years ago. We go into the check out line and the cashier asked if I was a cop or just open carrying. He said he moved to PA from NC recently, and I'll quote him as accurately as I can, he said, "everyone where I came from open carries".

He told me where he was from exactly, but I forgot. I think it was a smaller town outside of one of the big cities.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....