Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Integration with Google Services

Hey Dan,

There's a bunch of people out there (like me ) who use Gmail and related services, like Google Calendar. Would it be possible, in the categories like Gun Shows, Competitions, etc., where posts are actually events, to have a button which would automatically pop up a new window or tab, navigate to Google add the event and related information (like Date, Time, Location, and any notes) to one's Google Calendar? Something similar would also be nice when looking at a person's profile, to be able to click a button and have them added as a Contact in Gmail.

Not sure if there's a way to do this, or if it's worth the trouble even if it is possible. Just a suggestion to consider, take it FWIW.

Thanks!

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Integration with Google Services

Seems like a neat idea, I'm not sure what the tech would be but I can tell you this would be pretty low on the list of my things to do for the site at the moment. Maybe eventually (technology permitting), but not at the moment.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Allegheny County)

Isn't google somewhat antigun as well?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    Isn't google somewhat antigun as well?
    Depends on what you search on it. Google will bring you to this site, as well as the Brady Campaign anti site.

==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Lehigh County)

Wouldn't it be fairly straightforward to create a shared google calendar for the board and give access to all members of the board? That would create some administrative overhead, having to add new members to the access list of the calendar, but it would be a quick/dirty solution. I haven't looked at the API enough to know how feasible it would be to script that, or create a widget, which would be the best way.
    John: How come I'm not afraid?
    D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
    John: I love hanging with you, man.

(Philadelphia County)

We have our own calendar/event system, no need for Google's stuff unless we simply want to make it easier to copy events from our system to Google's.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    We have our own calendar/event system, no need for Google's stuff unless we simply want to make it easier to copy events from our system to Google's.
    That's what I thought ChamberedRound was talking about. I'm a heavy google user as well, and I prefer to have every date I'm interested in monitoring pop up into my yahoo or google homepage, or on my phone, which I'm assuming CR does too. I have a couple of calendars that I can review at a glance anytime I hit my homepage; personal, work, and a couple of shared. The sole advantage of the google stuff would be that users such as us would see events immediately, rather than having to manually check the forum calendar.
    John: How come I'm not afraid?
    D'Argo: Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds its certainty.
    John: I love hanging with you, man.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by junyo View Post
    That's what I thought ChamberedRound was talking about. I'm a heavy google user as well, and I prefer to have every date I'm interested in monitoring pop up into my yahoo or google homepage, or on my phone, which I'm assuming CR does too. I have a couple of calendars that I can review at a glance anytime I hit my homepage; personal, work, and a couple of shared. The sole advantage of the google stuff would be that users such as us would see events immediately, rather than having to manually check the forum calendar.
    Yes, this was what I was getting at.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas