Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Just a toy, or worth the Money

I do not shoot competition only paper and hunting rounds. For years several reloading manufacturers have made Concentricity Gages, But no practical was of fixing Bullet run out, Hornady has come out with its new Concentricity tool that will Gage as well as repair the problem, Has anyone bought one, do they work as well as advertised, and do you think its worth the money.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Just a toy, or worth the Money

Quote Originally Posted by hornady View Post
    I do not shoot competition only paper and hunting rounds. For years several reloading manufacturers have made Concentricity Gages, But no practical was of fixing Bullet run out, Hornady has come out with its new Concentricity tool that will Gage as well as repair the problem, Has anyone bought one, do they work as well as advertised, and do you think its worth the money.
    For all that you are shooting, I wouldn't think it worth the investment.

Most rifle dies are pretty darned good, as is. If you can't see a bullet out of alignment/out of round as it comes from your die, try rolling it on a flat surface and see if you can actually SEE any runout (bullet tip being off-center, showing as "wobbling" while rolling). If you can't see any, anybody's concentricity gage will only MAYBE gain you a quarter of an inch at a hundred yards, and that only applies if you are already shooting MOA groups of ten.

Now if everything you are loading already has visible out-of-round when rolling them, you might be a candidate for a Hornady.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Westmoreland County)

That’s kind of what I thought, I am getting good groups at a 100 yards, I think a lot of the time you get sucked into the latest and greatest reloading toys, Its like my Chrony, It came in handy working up loads, But not a necessity, In the last 5 years I may have set it up a dozen times, as to the Concentricity tool, I can buy a bunch of Bullets for $100.00

(Berks County)

For someone who shoots in competitions or long range hunting, I can see the need for ensuring that kind of consistency.

For the average shooter and reloader, I will pass. I spend enough time on case preparation as it is with rifle rounds.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer